Disclaimer: This explanation of Summer Session salaries is supplemental and not intended to conflict with the requirements of CBA Section 22.15.1.
The purpose of this webpage is to help departments report correct salary information to Extended Education on Summer Session planning documents.
Salaries reported to Extended Education for use in Summer Session should be calculated as follows:
- For a regular tenure track or tenured faculty member, departments should report a full-time 9-month salary. Two examples are given below:
- For a tenure-track assistant professor with a 100% appointment and a 9-month salary of $60,000, the department should report a full-time, 9-month salary of $60,000 / 100% appointment = $60,000.
- For a tenured professor with a 50% appointment and a 9-month salary of $45,000. The department should report a full-time, 9-month salary of $45,000 / 50% appointment = $90,000.
- For a tenured department chair, departments should report a full-time, 9.5-month salary with temporary increases included. One example is given below:
- For a department chair with a 100% appointment and a 9.5-month salary of $75,000 (including the temporary department chair increase), the department should report a full-time, 9.5-month salary of $75,000 / 100% appointment = $75,000.
- For a non-tenure track faculty, departments should report an “annualized salary.” An annualized salary is a non-tenure track faculty member’s per credit salary rate multiplied by 48 credits. One example is given below:
- For a non-tenure track faculty member with a per credit salary rate of $1,000, the department should report an annualized salary of $1,000*48 credits = $48,000.
Summary of Summer Session Salary Calculations (Academic Year Salary vs. Annualized Salary)
|Faculty Type||Salary Type||Calculation|
|Regular Tenure Track/Tenured Faculty Members||Academic Year Salary (full-time, 9-months)||9-month salary/appointment %|
|Tenured Department Chairs||Academic Year Salary (full-time, 9.5-months)||9.5-month salary (with temporary increases)/appointment %|
|Non-Tenure Track Faculty Members||Annualized Salary (48 credits)||Per-credit salary rate*48 credits|
Please contact Austin Cooper, (X3915), if you have any questions.