Looking at the rise of short form direct content, there are several news outlets experimenting with their own content using an Instagram or SnapChat stories approach.
Integrating video and photography into a short form digital-story, CNN has been trying it out hitting on world topics.
What’s interesting about this content and style…is that it can be designed and posted using the newly released Wordpres 5.3 Core. With the aide of a beta plugin, building a “story segment” can be as easy as writing a post. The benefit is the ability to create mobile ready content that is agnostic of platform or social media network. A big win for independent content creators looking to foster a community around their content without the negatives of the typical social network.
Two examples I’ve been able to create using the beta:
The geeky rundown of highlights for else in this core release (5.3):
- expands and refines the block editor with more intuitive interactions and improved accessibility.
- This release also introduces the Twenty Twenty theme.
- This enhancement-focused update introduces over 150 new features and usability improvements.
- Accessibility improvements include the integration of block editor styles in the admin interface.
- For people who use a keyboard to navigate the dashboard, the block editor now has a Navigation mode.
- The new Group block lets you easily divide your page into colorful sections.
- The Columns block now supports fixed column widths.
- The new predefined layouts make it a cinch to arrange content into advanced designs.
- Additional style options allow you to set your preferred style for any block that supports this feature.
- Automatic Image Rotation.