Study Abroad Tips

Here are a few tips and pieces of advice from my study abroad in Granada, Spain. I hope that this advice is useful and future study abroad students can relate to this from experience.

1. Slow Down the Money Spending– Once you get abroad it can be easy to find yourself spending money going out to eat, going to bars or clubs, buying souvenirs, and traveling. In my case I spent double what I intended to spend the first month in Spain unintentionally. I recommend if you are studying abroad for longer than three months to take the time once or twice a month to briefly look at where you stand financially. Studying abroad for three months like myself I was less money conscientious because I knew I would be returning in three months but at the end of the second month I wished I had paced my finances a little more. Make sure to have fun and travel though!
  2. Class Absences– My study abroad program CEA had 80% mandatory class policy which meant up to 4 absences were allowed for each class. Five absences or more means that you are unable to take the final exam and will fail the class. This policy meant that I used my absences wisely for future trips and I made sure to leave an absence for a sick day or if for some reason I couldn’t attend class for another reason.
  3. Planning Classes- My class schedule was morning classes 8:30-12:30 with an occasional evening class from 6-8 pm on Monday’s and Wednesday’s. We often didn’t have class on Friday’s unless we had makeup days for holidays in order to meet the mandatory curriculum hours. We had around 4-5 Friday classes throughout the entire semester abroad for the three months. Finishing class at 12:30 on Thursdays was amazing because it meant that I could have essentially a three-and-a-half-day weekend which is perfect for traveling. Flights are often cheaper on Thursdays as well. I recommend early classes on Thursday’s if possible.
  4. Cheap TransportationIn Spain a few popular airlines or sites used by students for cheap flights were Ryanair, Vueling, and Skyscanner. Trying different combinations to get to a destination is often worth the time. Different combinations include direct flights, multiple stops, round trips, booking legs separately on a journey, booking legs as one, or using multiple different airlines. Don’t forget about alternatives like buses or trains. In Spain I used the Omio app for long distance bus trips to other cities and it was often very cheap. Sometimes it’s more economical to take a bus to another city and catch a flight from that city instead of the city you are studying in.
  5. Research the weather- Before I arrived to Granada, I researched the weather, and this was essential in helping me pack for my time abroad. Don’t pack inessential clothing that takes up space and weight. The first month it was extremely hot but instead I found I wore only long pants. The last two months has been bitter cold weather and requires winter clothing. If there was any clothing that I really needed I was able to buy it in Spain.
  6. Record Your Time Abroad- Whether it’s taking pictures, writing in a journal, or blogging take the time to record your time abroad. It’s easy for the days to blend together and to forget certain moments. Looking back, you will be grateful to have written down what happened on a certain day or look at that photo which was one of the best days of your life.
  7. Lack of Contacting Home– This was one piece of advice that I wish I had been given before coming to Spain and that is the lack of contact you will have with people back home in your country. I thought before coming to Spain that I would be facetiming my friends every few weeks, but this wasn’t the case. I didn’t end up facetiming some of my friends until the start of my last month in Spain. The time difference of nine hours for me and being busy with my new life abroad made it extremely difficult. Before going abroad let your friends know that your friendship or relationship will most likely look different while you are abroad. But just remember it’s only for a few months or a year. While you are abroad you will meet so many new people and the people from home will be there when you return.
  8. Making Friends– There are often hundreds of students studying abroad at the same time. This means so many opportunities to meet new people and form connections. It can be easy to get attached to one friend group but don’t forget about the other people that exist and could change your life if you opened up a little more. Invite that person who eats alone to eat with you and your friends or go sit with them, go out for a drink with the classmate that sits next to you every day… if you don’t ask you never know what could happen. Remember studying abroad you are already outside of your comfort zone and so are all the students around you who are probably feeling the same.
  9. Go Outside Your Comfort Zone- Sing Karaoke in an Irish Pub, stay out until 5 am with your friends, Drink tinto de verano and eat carbonara in a plaza by yourself. Do all the things you didn’t dare to do back home because you were scared of being judged by the people you know. This is a unique experience and make the most of it. (Be safe and smart)
  10. Don’t Study Abroad with a Friend from Home- Studying abroad is a time to grow, meet new people, and learn more about yourself. By going abroad with a friend from home you are already putting yourself in a comfort zone and limiting yourself. Maybe there are activities you want to do but the fear of judgment or if you don’t have that same friend at the event with you then you won’t go. Leave your friends at home because they will be there when you return and experience a solo journey for a few months or year.