4 Tips For The Class of COVID-19

4 Tips for The Class of COVID-19

At the beginning of my college experience, the end felt so far away. I pictured myself walking across a stage with my diploma, shaking my professor’s hands, and moving out of my college home with a novel’s worth of memories. While the latter is true, I don’t think it is socially acceptable to be shaking hands right now. The COVID-19 pandemic shook up my world right as I was heading into a new chapter. I was already itching to be done with school, and adjusting to a work from home lifestyle really took a hit to my motivation. I believe that the Class of 2020’s experience is truly unique. Here are some tips that I have learned to finish my college career strong during this historical time.

1. Eat a good breakfast and put on some clothes!

When you know that you are probably not leaving your house during the day, it can be difficult to get in the groove like you normally would if you had somewhere to be. Creating a morning routine for yourself is essential in order to retain normalcy (whatever is left of it in this world). It’s important to remember that just because you may not be as active as you usually are, you still need to eat. While I am not always hungry in the morning, I still try to eat a breakfast meal because I know it will give me energy and help me to stay focused throughout the day. Also, performing my skincare routine and changing out of the clothes I wore to bed puts me in the right mindset. Without this daily routine, my day will just be one very long morning.

2. Just Do It

I’ve learned that there are really no secret tips to being motivated. Motivation ebbs and flows. Unfortunately, my motivation is particularly the strongest around midnight. I hate the thought that you must come out of quarantine as a shiny, brand-new, most in-shape version of yourself. In reality, this is a time that has exposed the pressure that society places on ourselves to be accomplished. Now, I must say, scrolling on TikTok for 4 hours a day is probably not so great for your mental health, or for your grades. If you have things that you want to accomplish, my tip for you is to just do it. Whether it be turning on your laptop to start your homework, putting your laundry in the dryer, or opening that book you’ve been wanting to read… the hardest part is usually the first step. I’ve found that when I just take action on the task that has been hanging over my head, completing the task is not as bad as the feeling of it weighing on yourself.

3. Participate and engage in your Zoom classes

This one is BIG. We are all adjusting to this new classroom environment. It can be awkward to speak in a zoom class and have your camera on for the full duration because it feels like everyone is staring at you. Chances are, you are not the main character on the zoom call, and people do not care about how you look as much as you do! They WILL care if you don’t mute yourself while you’re going to the bathroom, though. So step number one, turn on your camera and show your face! Like all classes, I have found that Zoom classes are much less awkward and more enriching when there are many different voices hear

d during the discussion. I encourage you to be an active participant in your classes to make it a better experience for everyone. If just one person chimes in, chances are that others will feel more comfortable contributing as well.

4. Use this experience as a resume builder

It has been motivating for me to think about how this experience has made me stronger. My experience as a C

lass of COVID-19 graduate has proven to myself that I am adaptable and agile in the face of adversity. In addition, it has exemplified my commitment to my education. I’ve been out here trying to make deadlines while also fighting my mental battles brought on by the current state of our world. There are tactical skills I

have learned in the process that can make me a more attractive employee, like how to work remotely. Most importantly, though, is the fact that we did not give up when things got scary.

The Class of COVID-19 is entering the job market during a time where unemployment is at an all-time high. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, “In April [2020], the unemployment rate increased by 10.3 percentage points to 14.7 percent. This is the highest rate and the largest over-the-month increase in the history of the series”. Talk about a warm welcome. I considermyself very lucky to have not experienced a direct impact of this horrific disease. I feel for those who will not be able to hold their loved one’s hand one last time. I encourage you, recent graduates, to not fear what lies ahead, but to come together as a community who has gone through the same lived experience.

Oh, and also, stay home!