About the author page

My name is Nery Cardona, I am currently a student at Western Washington University. I chose this theme because this is what represents me, the inner cities and the people in the inner cities is what I am. I also chose the inner cities because I grew up in an inner-city lifestyle living in Guatemala, and living in East Los Angeles for a couple summers. This means a lot to me and I want to bring awareness to this and that is why I chose this theme. My favorite genre is creative nonfiction or narrative nonfiction. This brings out a lot of emotion in one and brings out a lot more on what they want to talk about or write about. With creative nonfiction, or pretty much with any genre, you can do anything you want with it. What I like the most is the factual matter that is represented in the narrative style which uses literary techniques. A lot did surprise me during this project, learning new things helped me see things more. As well as finding poems which I really found interest in. These poems are a variety of different ways you can put yourself into it and express a lot of your strong emotions that you are feeling. Emotions which many people can’t just get out just from writing it out but there are different types of ways you can express emotions. In poems there is a certain way, style, sound which brings that strong vivid picture to your mind. Within the speech which I watched, it was very moving hearing it from the audience and the tone which this student gave. Strong emotions in a voice give more to the audience, it makes them want to do something about it, and that is how I felt. I also used genres of films, books, and a song which I will go into later.