Icebreaker

I had a lot of fun doing this assignment, partly because it was kind of scary going up to people that I didn’t know and asking them a personal question and requesting a picture. These are my three favorite photos, probably because of the interactions I had with the subjects before and after the photo. I think that if you don’t know someone who you are photographing, you know them at least a little bit by the time the process is done. If you do your job well, and they let their guard down enough, you are in some respects capturing a piece of their personality and allowing to shine through, forever captured. In the first photo, I can see the joy that skiing and trekking brings to Jane Murray. In the second photo, the love between Richie and his son is captured by the defined smile lines on Richie’s face and the carefree smile of his young child. In the last photo, Mark Houston looks almost smug, but in a humble way. This captured the way I felt he interacted with me very well, and I’m happy about that.

Jane Murray stands in the parking lot of Mt. Baker Ski Area, Washington, after a day of backcountry skiing on April 10, 2016. "I think these mountains inspire me today," Murray said. "They're way bigger than us and they're way more powerful." (Photo by: Edward Clem)
Jane Murray stands in the parking lot of Mt. Baker Ski Area, Washington, after a day of backcountry skiing on April 10, 2016. “I think these mountains inspire me today,” Murray said. “They’re way bigger than us and they’re way more powerful.” (Photo by: Edward Clem)
Richie Esquibel, 43, stands with his son outside of La Fiamma Pizza in Bellingham, Washington on April 12, 2016. "We're getting ready to work in the garden right now," Esquibel said. "The garden is what inspires me." (Photo By: Edward Clem)
Richie Esquibel, 43, stands with his son outside of La Fiamma Pizza in Bellingham, Washington on April 12, 2016. “We’re getting ready to work in the garden right now,” Esquibel said. “The garden is what inspires me.” (Photo By: Edward Clem)
Mark Houston, 60, sits outside of The Woods Coffee in Bellingham, Washington, on April 12, 2016. Houston said he is inspired by Jesus. "Everything that's going on in the world is so bad, and he's so good," Houston said. (Photo By: Edward Clem)
Mark Houston, 60, sits outside of The Woods Coffee in Bellingham, Washington, on April 12, 2016. Houston said he is inspired by Jesus. “Everything that’s going on in the world is so bad, and he’s so good,” Houston said. (Photo By: Edward Clem)