The Wade King Student Recreation Center features a 25 yard, six lane pool with activity area as well as a relaxing 32-person hot tub. The pool temperature is set at 81°F and the hot tub temperature at 101°F.
While classes are in session, the pool opens 30 minutes after the building opens. At least two lanes will be open for lap swim at all times.
Summer quarter (June 25 to September 25) pool hours are:
- Monday-Thursday: 6:30am – 7:30pm
- Friday: 6:30am – 6:30pm
- Saturday: 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Sunday: 9:30am – 4:30pm
Note: The pool and hot tub will be closed for two weeks from August 27 to September 10 due to the university’s annual steam plant shutdown.
For pool hours during other times of the year, as well as days that the facility and pool are closed, please see our Facility Schedule Page.
Generally, a minimum of two lanes will be available for lap swim whenever the pool is open. For a general schedule of daily activities taking place in the pool, please see our Quarterly Pool Schedule.
To view a detailed pool schedule for a specific day, check out the current Weekly Pool Schedule.
Programming note: High school swim teams will be renting four lanes of the pool from 3:45-6:45pm on August 20-24 and September 4-14. Two lanes will be available for lap swimming during this time.
We are pleased to offer both group and private youth swim lessons throughout the year for youth as well as adults. Parent and Tot classes for children age 3 and under are also being offered this quarter. Registration for summer quarter is now open and fall quarter registration opens August 27.
For more information, including lesson schedules and registration forms, click the following links:
This Swim Lesson Level Placement Flow Chart can help you determine the appropriate swim lesson level for your child based on their abilities. Please note that availability is limited and classes fill up quickly. Your spot in a class is not reserved until both the registration form and payment are received.
Clinics and Classes
The WWU Campus Recreation aquatics program offers a variety of clinics and classes for adult swimmers of all abilities! Click the links below for more information on our programming for each quarter.
- Free Swim Clinics
- A free clinic offered each quarter to Rec Center members
- Clinics will return for fall quarter 2018
- No registration required, just drop in!
- Swimming For Fitness & Learning The Basics
- Non-credit classes for adult Rec Center members
- Each class consists of four 40-minute sessions over a two week period
- Classes will return for fall quarter 2018
- Beginning Swimming (PE 197)
- A for-credit class for WWU students offered through the Department of Health and Human Development
- $250 self-sustaining tuition fee
- Class limited to 12 participants
We are pleased to now offer safety classes for people interesting in becoming a lifeguard for the first time, or existing lifeguards who require re-certification.
Registration for our upcoming certification classes is now open! For more information, visit our Safety Class Page here.
Pool Play / Sunday Open Swim
Come play with us! Shoot hoops, play water polo or just relax in the pool. Four lanes and the leisure area are dedicated to Pool Play and Open Swim during designated times and helps you experience the pool in a new way. Toys and equipment are provided. The Log Roller may also be available with an instructor during these times. This is a family-friendly time.
We have a wide variety of equipment available for use to make your time in the pool more enjoyable:
|Aqua gloves||Diving toys||Noodles|
|Aqua jogger belts||Flippers||Pull buoys|
|Basketballs / volleyballs||Inner tubes||Stretching mats|
|Diving bricks||Kickboards||Water barbells|
|Lifejackets (adult and child sizes)|
A complimentary towel service is available for patrons while using the the Student Recreation Center. In addition, goggles and swim caps are available for purchase at our equipment desk.
Proper Swim Attire
The following attire is not allowed:
- “Street clothes,” Brazil/French-cut, thong style and/or revealing swim wear, cut-off jeans, jeans, skirts, shorts, sport bras, leotards, leggings, dri-fit wear, compression shorts and compression shirts are prohibited
- Underwear and undergarments are not allowed to be worn under swimsuits.
Here are just a few reasons as to why it is important to only wear pool attire in the pool:
- Street clothes (especially cotton) can transport airborne and ultimately water borne contaminants into the pool.
- Lycra and Nylon are the best non-absorbent material for swimming and are the best fabrics for proper swim attire.
- Other absorbent materials (such as cotton) can break down in the water and cause fibers to clog filters.
- Any colored material (unless specifically made for swimming) can bleed into the pool, affecting water chemistry and balance. This is also a reason for turbidity in pools.
- Cotton and similar materials can absorb the chemicals in the water, causing the water to become less effective at maintaining the proper chemical balance or may cloud the water.
The Student Recreation Center swimming pool is available for rentals by university and outside groups during limited times throughout the year. We even offer birthday party rental packages that include time in our pool and on our climbing wall to help make your child’s birthday a memorable one!
Please visit our Youth Programs page or call Kip Leonetti at (360) 650-6254 for more information about reserving the pool for your group.
Meet the Aquatics Coordinator
Richelle Williams joined the Campus Recreation Services team this summer as our new Aquatics Coordinator and Youth Programming Advisor with years of experience in the field. She comes to Bellingham after serving as an Aquatics Coordinator at American University in Washington, D.C.
After swimming competitively, teaching swim lessons, coaching swim team, and lifeguarding from the youngest age allowed, it was a natural fit for Richelle to work in aquatics professionally. During her undergraduate studies at Portland State University, Richelle realized her true passion was student development within the Campus Recreation field. Fun Fact: Richelle loves the Vancouver Canucks.
Certifications: Water Safety Instructor/Trainer, Lifeguard and Lifeguard Instructor, Water Front Lifeguard, CPR-PRO/First Aid/AED Certified, Pool Operator, USMS Coaching Level 1 & 2.
Contact: If you have any questions or comments about our pool or aquatics programming, contact Richelle by email at Richelle.Harvey@wwu.edu or call (360) 650-4094!