Dorothea Lange

1895–1965

Dorothea Lange was one of the more influential female photographers in the American journalism. She brought a fresh motherly voice and soft lens for sensitive material, working her camera to bring about social change. Lange used innovative photography techniques to capture the emotion during the Depression-era. Her photos displayed displaced families and farm workers, migrant workers, moving portraits of tattered-looking families, as well as post-war imagery.

This type of work on the issues that working individuals and American citizens were facing during such a tough economic time brought a solid precedent to our understanding of American Journalism, proving that there was more to photos that simply their beauty. They had the power to inform citizens about the pressing issues American society was facing, which promotes recognition for social change.[1]

“In 1935 the FSA created a program that hired photographers to travel to rural areas across the country and document the lives of struggling farmers, and Lange became one of their most celebrated photographers. More than purely documentary, though, Lange’s FSA photographs served as a political tool, for they helped the nation see the effects of the Depression on an individual level and challenged the agricultural practices and policies of the time. With the help of the FSA, Lange’s pictures brought issues like family suffering and unfortunate working conditions to light. Lange’s photographs gave a face to the distress and suffering of the nation, and spread awareness throughout the country.”[2]

With our growing age of technology and the increasing trend for visual journalism to influence American citizens, Lange is a prime candidate for a dream team member spot alongside the other influential journalists I have selected. The war on press with our current political climate and the lack of trust that individuals have for news media in a broad sense is something that I feel could be mitigated and worked around through influential and emotional photography.

A glimpse into the depression-era through photography- although not all are presented with captions or titles 3,4:

[3]

[4]

[3]

Boy in Uniform

[3]

[3] “A sharecropper plants sweet potatoes with his 13-year-old daughter near Olive Hill, N.C., July 1939. “Her father hopes to send her to school,” Lange noted.”

[2] “Carrot pullers from Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas and Mexico. “We come from all states and we can’t make a dollar in this field noways. [sic] Working from seven in the morning until twelve noon, we earn an average of thirty-five cents.” California, February 1937″

[4] On the Move

[4] On the Move

[4] Unhealthy lifestyle

[4] On the Road

[4] Enduring Life

[4] Finding Alternatives

~

[1] “Dorothea Lange Overview and Analysis.” The Art Story. Accessed August 02, 2018. https://www.theartstory.org/artist-lange-dorothea.htm.

[2] Yoshiwara, Emily. “Part One: Dorothea Lange’s Social Vision: Photography and the Great Depression.” The Great Depression in Washington State. 2010. Accessed August 02, 2018. http://depts.washington.edu/depress/dorothea_lange_photography_depression.shtml.

3 Godoy, Maria. “How Dorothea Lange Taught Us To See Hunger And Humanity.” NPR. May 26, 2015. Accessed August 02, 2018. https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/05/26/409738018/hunger-and-humanity-how-dorothea-lange-taught-us-to-see.

1. #_ftn2“The History Place – Dorothea Lange Photo Gallery: Migrant Farm Families.” The History Place – Triumph of Hitler: Burning of Books. Accessed August 06, 2018. http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/lange/.

28 thoughts on “Dorothea Lange

• A profile rich with relevant credentials opens up a number of career slots in major enterprises. DumpsCollection’s Fortinet NSE6_FAC-6.4 Practice Test questions and answers based study material guarantees you career heights by helping you pass as many IT certifications exams as you want.

• What your stating is completely accurate. I know that everybody ought to say the similar thing, but I just assume that you place it in a way that everyone can fully grasp. I also appreciate the photos you set in right here. They match so properly with what youre hoping to say. Im sure youll reach so many people today with what youve acquired to say. ดูซีรีย์,ดูซีรี่ย์ฟรี,ดูซีรี่ย์ออนไลน์

• Subsequently, after spending many hours on the internet at last We’ve uncovered an individual that definitely does know what they are discussing many thanks a great deal wonderful post situs togel 88

• Thanks for the tips on credit repair on this amazing web-site. What I would offer as advice to people will be to give up this mentality that they may buy at this point and shell out later. As a society all of us tend to do this for many things. This includes trips, furniture, and items we’d like. However, you have to separate a person’s wants from all the needs. While you are working to raise your credit score make some trade-offs. For example you possibly can shop online to economize or you can look at second hand suppliers instead of high priced department stores regarding clothing. slot hoki

• Thanks for the writeup. I definitely agree with what you are saying. I have been talking about this subject a lot lately with my brother so hopefully this will get him to see my point of view. Fingers crossed! asianslot88

• I have read a few excellent stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much attempt you set to create the sort of fantastic informative site. iptv m3u

• Gaga tweeted a message as well as a web page link to Japan Prayer Bracelets. She fashioned a bracelet, with almost all sales revenue going to Japanese relief initiatives mpo777 daftar

• Just desire to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post is just great and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work. NSFW Character AI

• What i don’t realize is in reality how you are no longer actually a lot more neatly-preferred than you may be right now. You are so intelligent. You understand thus considerably with regards to this subject, produced me in my view believe it from so many various angles. Its like women and men aren’t fascinated except it’s one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs great. Always maintain it up! http://www.firstkissflowers.com

• Excellent blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally confused .. Any ideas? Thanks! a course in miracles lesson 1

• This web-site is actually a walk-through you discover the knowledge you wished in regards to this and didn’t know who need to. Glimpse here, and you’ll certainly discover it. pafikebasen

• I wanted to thank you a lot more for this amazing web-site you have created here. It truly is full of useful tips for those who are genuinely interested in this subject, specifically this very post. Your all actually sweet plus thoughtful of others as well as reading your site posts is a wonderful delight in my experience. And what a generous reward! Mary and I will certainly have fun making use of your guidelines in what we must do in a few weeks. Our checklist is a mile long which means that your tips might be put to great use. situs toto

• Thanks for taking the time to talk about this, I feel fervently about this and I take pleasure in learning about this topic. Please, as you gain information, please update this blog with more information. I have found it very useful. taka77 log in

• Thanks for taking the time to talk about this, I feel fervently about this and I take pleasure in learning about this topic. Please, as you gain information, please update this blog with more information. I have found it very useful. Rai88