Walter Cronkite

1916–2009

It felt only natural to select Cronkite as a part of my dream team for his influence as a journalist throughout our U.S. media history. Although the other members I have selected to help me answer my essential question are all female identifying and I was initially going to use that theme throughout, I felt that the influence Cronkite had in broadcast media during such crucial times in American history was helpful for uncovering crucial traits of journalists covering sensitive and potentially harmful content.

As a well-respected and listened to man, he made a positive impact on American journalism through broadcast news and reporting. According to PBS Reporting on America at War article, with his 18 years broadcasting for CBS, he was deemed “the most trusted man in America.” He was active in the war discussion during tense times with foreign affairs and in the beginning of his career was selected for a program with the Army Air Forces where he was one of eight colleagues who went to Britain to see first-hand from an airplane.[1]

In his career, Cronkite reported on the Watergate Scandal, the Vietnam War, battles in France and Normandy, and numerous other impactful wars and eras in American history. He had the power to positively influence the public opinion, even if he did stray from his objective journalism at times (he tended to throw in his personal thoughts from time to time, namely his thoughts on the Vietnam War. [2, 3]

Within the parameters of my research question, speaking on our societies current war on press, as well as the shaping of investigative and sensitive reporting as we transition from contemporary to modern journalism, Cronkite had the power to shape the perceptions of the public and report the news transparently and objectively, taking risks to keep American citizens informed.

NPR Interview, following his passing: [1]

Walter Cronkite, The ‘Most Trusted Man In America’

Although Cronkite didn’t regret his television media presence per say, he held the belief that advancements in media technology played a role in the fading out of newspaper and magazine print in the 20th century- a skill and habit he felt was essential to staying informed as American citizens.2 If he were still alive, I am nearly positive he would be highly disappointed in the state of our society and our governments distrust and lack of faith in news media.

“Like so many of our problems today, it all starts with education. We need to teach [children] how to read a newspaper, how to listen to radio, how to watch television, how to understand a film, so that they become properly skeptical. If a public understands the limitations of television, the limitations of print, deadline pressures, all the rest of the things that go into the making of a newspaper or broadcast, then that public will be far less likely to fall into a demagogue’s trap when the demagogue attacks the press for its unfairness.”    -Walter Cronkite. 3

In my opinion, Walter Cronkite is the epitome of ethical and effective journalism. His global experiences, his positive public presence, his attitude towards reporting the news truthfully and objectively, and his grandfatherly demeanor, all make him the prime dream team candidate. He embodies the positive recurring themes of American journalism well.

[1] Gross, Terry., and Cronkite, Walter. “Walter Cronkite, The ‘Most Trusted Man In America’.” NPR. July 20, 2009. Accessed August 02, 2018. https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=106800060.

2 Menand, Louis. “The Legend of Walter Cronkite.” The New Yorker. June 18, 2017. Accessed August 02, 2018.

3 Streitmatter, Rodger. “Mightier Than The Sword” (Colorado: Westview Press, 2016), 197-199

21 thoughts on “Walter Cronkite

• This is really interesting, you are a very talented blogger. I joined your feed and I’m looking forward to it I am looking for more of your great articles. I also shared your website on my social network! Window 12 Pro Crack

• I have been browsing online more than three hours
    as of late, but I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing
    article like yours. It is pretty price sufficient for me.
    In my view, if all website owners and bloggers
    made just right content as you did, the internet will probably be
    much more helpful than ever before. IDM Crack

• Thank you for sharing your thoughts on including Walter Cronkite in your dream team. It’s fascinating to hear about his impact on American journalism during such crucial times in our history. His ability to positively influence public opinion and report the news transparently and objectively is certainly admirable, and his coverage of wars and events such as Watergate undoubtedly helped shape the perceptions of the public.

It’s also interesting to note that, despite his reputation as an objective journalist, Cronkite wasn’t afraid to inject his personal thoughts into his reporting, particularly on issues like the Vietnam War. This raises important questions about the role of personal opinions and biases in journalism, and how they can impact the reporting of sensitive and potentially harmful content.

I look forward to hearing more about your research on the war on press and the shaping of investigative reporting in contemporary and modern journalism, and how Cronkite’s legacy can inform our understanding of these issues.

Wiratech.co.id

• The wonderful Veeam VMCA2022 success rate using our innovative and exam-oriented products made thousands of ambitious VMCA2022 Certification IT professionals our loyal customers. Your success is always our top priority and for that our experts are always bent on enhancing our products.

• When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new surveys are added- checkbox and from now on each time a comment is added I get four emails sticking with the same comment. Is there however you may get rid of me from that service? Thanks! หนังเกาหลี

• Great web site you have here. It’s hard to find high-quality writing like yours these days. Thank you for your articles. I find them very helpful. I really appreciate people like you! Take care and have a great day ahead!!
    Karya Bintang Abadi

• Thanks for your article. One other thing is that if you are disposing your property by yourself, one of the difficulties you need to be conscious of upfront is how to deal with household inspection reviews. As a FSBO vendor, the key concerning successfully moving your property plus saving money about real estate agent commissions is understanding. The more you recognize, the better your property sales effort will be. One area in which this is particularly essential is inspection reports. slot hoki

• Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any recommendations? asianslot88

• Thank you for an additional great post. Exactly where else could anybody get that kind of facts in this kind of a ideal way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m around the appear for this kind of data. teratai888

• You can certainly see your expertise within the work you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart. flix iptv