TO: Department Chairs; Operations Managers
FROM: Andrew Blick, Director
SUBJECT: PLANNING FOR SUMMER SESSION 2019
Summer Session 2019 planning is here. Planning forms and information are being emailed to your colleges and departments.
The Summer 2018 Annual Report will be finalized and distributed in mid to late November.
Summer Course Considerations
Online enrollment continues to grow year after year. Gaining in popularity, departments are encouraged to consider reviewing options for online sections in Summer Session 2019 to provide students with maximum flexibility in their schedules. Summer 2018 highlights:
- 111 online courses were offered in Summer Session 2018
- 34% of all Summer Session enrollment was in Online: Term-Based offerings.
- 1,437 students or approximately 42% of Summer Session students registered for at least one online course.
- 847 students enrolled in online classes only.
- Summer Session students that mixed modalities (Online: Term-Based, Face-to-Face, Travel) enrolled in an average of 11 credits; compared to an average of 6.9 credits for their counterparts who took only Face-to-Face.
Faculty are able to participate in training related to online course design and development. Please e-mail WesternOnline@wwu.edu for additional information regarding upcoming workshops and events or visit www.wwu.edu/WesternOnline for additional information.
High demand courses – courses during the academic year that fill quickly quarter after quarter, create bottle necks for students trying to advance in their major/minor, or just popular with students are great options for summer offerings. Offering high demand sections in the summer reduces and relieves pressure for students and also can make an impact on overall enrollment.
Refer to Fact Book for additional planning resources: https://admin-rptnet.wwu.edu/CE_Courses.aspx
Summer Session 2019 Planning Highlights
- Planning deadline is February 1; schedules are due to Extended Education from the colleges.
- Banner system availability for course input and changes, December 1-February 8.
- Summer Session website and ClassFinder will be available in mid-February.
- Review the CBA – WWU and United Faculty of Western Washington 2015-2020 for the latest updates about summer session.
- Review the “ACC Policy on Credit Hours” documentation: http://www.wwu.edu/facultysenate/B_ACC_Main/ACC_Main_Index.shtml
A full calendar is available on the Summer Session Timeline page.
To assist you with planning, please refer to the Summer Session Department Planning Resource Sheet and the Planning Form Key (available on the Staff Resources page).
All planning schedules must be routed to department chairs and college deans for review and approval before sending them to Extended Education. The dean, after consulting with departments and with input from Extended Education, determines the Summer Session schedule. Extended Education will do a final review of the planning schedule and contact the appropriate dean’s office for questions or clarification.
Planning materials and information for Summer Session will be available on the Staff Resources web page at https://wp.wwu.edu/eeplanning/summersession/.
Information available (or forthcoming) includes:
- CBA – WWU and United Faculty of Western Washington 2015-2020
- Planning Form Key
- Department Planning Resource Sheet
- Summer Session Timeline
- Block Schedule Guidelines
- Summer Session Budget Codes
- Course Setup & Faculty Assignment Planning Document Authorization E-sign Form Link
- Tuition/Fees Document (Forthcoming)
- Summer Session Annual Report (Forthcoming)
Summer Session Tuition and Fees
Tuition and fees will be reviewed and approved by the Board of Trustees in Winter or Spring. Once the tuition is finalized, we will update the website with the 2019 figures. For planning purposes, we have used the Summer Session 2018 tuition rates in the planning document.
Marketing and Publicity Efforts
We will continue to use social media and promote Summer Session student-focused activities to raise awareness of Summer Session opportunities.
As always, we appreciate your support with Summer Session planning and activities. Please do not hesitate to contact me by email at Andrew.Blick@wwu.edu or by phone at 360-650-2841 if you have any questions or concerns, or if you would like to schedule a meeting to review and discuss your Summer Session schedule.