How Is Campus Responding?
Who We Are
Our Training Series
The WWU Campus Equity and Inclusion Training Series is a university-wide initiative to empower members of the Western campus community to better understand and thoughtfully engage with the experiences and identities of all our community members. The mission of the Equity and Inclusion Training Series is twofold:
- To honor and endorse existing training and engagement opportunities for Western employees to expand their critical cultural consciousness
- To provide a single portal for Western faculty and staff to register for diversity-related training and events
The Equity and Inclusion Training Series welcomes staff and faculty from across the university to attend, design and lead its workshops. Support and facilitation of these workshops is a combined effort of all divisions, colleges, and departments.
How Does the Campus Equity and Inclusion Training Series Work?
Upon completion of one workshop from each of the four conceptual areas below over the course of an academic year, participants will receive a certificate of lifelong learning – as diversity and inclusion work is an ongoing process.
Workshops will include but are not limited to:
Concept 1: Cultural Awareness of Self
– Caring for One’s Spirit and Health for the Long Haul
– Beyond the Wheelchair Symbol: Welcoming disability culture in the workplace
Concept 2: Experiences of Others
– Fostering Inclusive Learning Environments for Transgender, Genderqueer and Non-Binary Students
– Micro-Affirmations & Eliminating Subtle Discrimination
Concept 3: Critical Conversations in the Workplace
– Understanding Diversity through Perceptions and Language
– A Conversation for Majority Culture Professionals
Concept 4: A Call to Action
– Infusing social justice in all classrooms: Towards inclusive content and pedagogy
– Serving Up Empathetic Education in a Diverse Society