Filipino Food

Chicken Adobo is the most popular Filipino dish. However, as you see the below it can be made with pork. Meat in itself is an important aspect of Filipino cuisine. A majority of meals are meat based, whether that be chicken, pork, beef, lamb, and sometimes even duck. Adobo is a simple dish to make and can be found around the country. However the recipe may vary depending on which island you go to. That will usually decipher what type of meat, seasoning, and rice they will use. But, the concept of adobo will remain the same. It is very enjoyable for small or larger parties of people and The fact that a simple dish like this is very popular in the Philippines,  displays the impoverished aspect of the country. Many Filipino dishes are not very intricate to keep the cost of making food low and also include type of foods that are high in carbs ( rice and meat). Usually each meal will include white rice and some sort of vegetables as a side.

Ever since I was a young child I had eaten chicken adobo with rice. I never knew any type of recipe I just knew it would be set on the table at least four times a month. It seemed it was always available for me to eat. Not until this past summer when I visited the Philippines did I understand the importance of this easy meal. I began to understand that meat and rice were a part of the Filipino culture. They valued it as a part of their lives and it felt like without it they would not be able to survive. So, this is not just adobo, it’s a part of my culture and something I see now as a meal for my people to survive off of.