8th Grade Internet resources for Sexual/Healthy Relationships

Internet Resources

1. Internet Source for Students: Interactive and Educational

Site Name: https://sexetc.org

Reason for Choosing This Site:

This is the BEST website that I found for students to use to learn about sexual health. This website offers lots of different viewpoints facts and other sources. The cool thing about this website is that there are lots of blogs and parts of the website created by teens. I feel like when it comes to sexual health we are much more likely to really listen if its coming from people around our age. This website would be helpful to students because it makes learning about sexual health fun and interesting. This website is the best because the information is provided in such a real way that I feel like students would actually enjoy going to this site and learning more about their bodies. What I like about this website most is it is relatable to youth because it is geared toward them by making the information appealing to children and has blogs written by young teens.

Core Integration:

I would incorporate this website into a sexual health mini lesson that teaches students about sexual health and intrapersonal relationships. I would incorporate this website by providing students with links to follow up on some of their questions that they may not have been comfortable asking in class. (https://sexetc.org/sex-ed/). Some questions that students might not want to ask in class are why is this happening to me? Or where can I get help with whatever personal problem they might be having but don’t want to ask their teacher. This website also had insightful videos that I could show to the class to really make the topics become real to go along with all that is talked about in class.

NHES Applicable:

1. Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce health risks.
  • NHES 4.8.1 Apply effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills to enhance health.
  • NHES 4.8.2 Demonstrate refusal and negotiation skills that avoid or reduce health risks.
  • NHES 4.8.3 Demonstrate effective conflict management or resolution strategies.
  • NHES 4.8.4 Demonstrate how to ask for assistance to enhance the health of self and others.

Healthy Behavior Outcomes Applicable:

• HBO 2. Be sexualy abstinate
  • HBO 3. Engage in behaviors that prevent or reduce sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV infection.
  • HBO 4. Engage in behaviors that prevent or reduce unintended pregnancy.
  • HBO 7. Treat others with courtesy and respect without regard to sexual status.

1. Internet Source for Teachers: Informative and Reliable

Site name: Let’s talk: Teens, Sexuality, & Media

This site is the best that I found as a teacher resource because it provides sample lesson plans, topic overviews, and further resources on 10 topics relating to sexual health. These topics include: puberty, body image, relationships, teen pregnancy, STDs & HIV, abstinence, safer sex, LGBTQ, social networkings, and media literacy. The range of topics addressed combined with the long list of additional resources provided within each topic make this site the best that I have found for teachers thus far. In addition the site also provides a resource and information section for parents, including some of the same topics as teachers (social networking, puberty, LGBTQ, STDs & HIV, absitnence and safer sex) as well as additional topics to discuss with kids. This website provides support for students to hear about important topics from both parents and teachers in informed ways.

Core integration:

I would introduce this website in a health-ed specific mini-lesson surrounding internet and media literacy. I believe this information is so important that it deserves to be the focal point of the lesson, not a subsection of another content area lesson. Let’s Talk provides lesson plans for each of the 10 topics it covers. For this lesson, I would use the Making a Media Literacy Video lesson plan provided by the site under the social networking category as a basis for my plan. The class would familiarize themselves with the ideas of media literacy provided in the Let’s Talk lesson, research media literacy a bit more (starting from the additional resources page provided by Let’s Talk) and then prepare a short skit for class on media literacy concepts and their importance. This lesson would inform students on how to be critical observers and analyzers of information and the media, as well as provide an introduction to the site as a future resource on health topics.

NHES Applicable:

2.8.5 Analyze how messages from media influence health behaviors.

2.8.6 Analyze the influence of technology on personal and family health.

2.8.7 Explain how the perceptions of norms influence healthy and unhealthy behaviors.

4.12.1 Use skills for communicating effectively with family, peers, and others to enhance health.

4.12.2 Demonstrate refusal, negotiation, and collaboration skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce health risks.

7.8.2 Demonstrate healthy practices and behaviors that will maintain or improve the health of self and others.

7.8.3 Demonstrate behaviors to avoid or reduce health risks to self and others.

7.12.1 Analyze the role of individual responsibility for enhancing health.

1. Internet Source for Parents: Informative and Resourceful

Site name: The site I found was Advocates for Youth Rights, Respect, Responsibility.

This could be a site that is educational regarding the content, allows the parent to learn how to discuss this topic with their child, or provides other great resources to a family.

I found that this site can be very helpful and informative to parents when it comes to talking about sexual health. It discusses how many times when parents talk about sexuality and sexual health they say all the things they do not want for their kids. For example, they do not want them to experience unexpected pregnancy or STI’s. However, they forget to say the things they hope for their child like appreciating their own bodies or will express love in appropriate ways.

This website is the best because it gives tips to parents on how to handle certain situations and different topics that should be discussed with children. Sometimes parents may not know how to handle certain situations when it comes to sexual health, so having tips for parents is better than them skipping over the conversation completely. The website also explains why it is important that we cover all aspects of sexual health because it allows for parents to keep that close and open relationship with their kids. The website has many resources but there is a specific section called the “Parents’ Sex Ed Center” where there are many resources parents can go to find information about talking about sex with their children. The page also has articles linked for parents to go based on what they want to know more about. Some articles provided to parents are articles on communication, learning about sexuality, talking about contraception, talking to kids openly about sexuality, and many more.

The Parents’ Sex Ed Center also has a place where parents can go to get advice from experts about talking with their kids about sex and sexuality. I know this is the best website because when checking out others ones like Planned Parenthood, they had a specific link to this website as a helpful resource to parents. I think I would send this home in a newsletter and have it on a class website because then there are multiple ways for parents to see it and access it. Having it on a class website allows for parents to easily access it at any point in time.

Extra Links Parents Can Use as Resources

7 thoughts on “8th Grade Internet resources for Sexual/Healthy Relationships

1. I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Fantastic work! Nổ hũ

2. I’ve writers block that comes and goes and I need to find a way to get rid of my writers block. It can occasionally be so bad I can barley make sentences. Any tips? 789win

3. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything this way before. So nice to seek out somebody with some original ideas on this subject. realy appreciate beginning this up. this excellent website can be something that is needed on the internet, a person with some originality. beneficial job for bringing something new towards the web! kèo nhà cái