Performance evaluations provide regular opportunities to recognize contributions and accomplishments, clarify expectation, set goals, discuss areas of concern, and identify areas for professional growth. Evaluation and feedback should be a continuous and ongoing process that culminates in the formal performance review.
Annual evaluations are due by June 30th!
Per the bargaining unit contracts, classified employees will receive at least one formal evaluation during their probation or trial service period and annually thereafter. Refer to the supervisor checklist below to ensure that all steps are taken during the evaluation process:
Before the evaluation:
- Review the Performance Evaluation Manual for Supervisors
- Gather and review relevant performance material Materials should include the job description and any prior employee performance objectives.
- Meet with the employee prior to their formal evaluation to discuss the process and expectations
- Discuss the upcoming performance evaluation meeting with your employee. Set a due date if they are completing a self-evaluation.
- Provide the employee with a copy of their current job description.
- Draft the evaluation form to bring to the evaluation meeting
During the evaluation:
- Review accomplishments, expectations and areas of growth.
- Discuss/develop goals for the upcoming year and reflect on the goals that were set the previous evaluation period.
- Take notes during discussion if any revisions need to be made to the formal evaluation.
After the evaluation:
- Confirm that the final evaluation has been signed and dated by the employee and supervisor
- Send the signed original evaluation to the Human Resources office at MS 9054
Training for Supervisors
HR provides training to assist you in making this process meaningful. ”Performance Evaluations, Coaching & Crucial Conversations” covers the evaluation process as well as how to navigate crucial conversations, provide feedback and improving performance through coaching.
Visit the HR Training Portal for upcoming offerings as well as other professional development opportunities for you and your employee!
Individualized and departmental training on performance evaluations is available. Please contact Kelsie Cagampang (x4065) for more information.