Performance evaluations provide regular opportunities to recognize contributions and accomplishments, clarify expectation, set goals, discuss areas of concern, and identify areas for professional growth. Evaluation and feedback should be a continuous and ongoing process that culminates in the formal performance review.
Western has established an electronic online system for conducting employee performance evaluations for Professional Staff: the Employee Performance Appraisal System. This system encourages an interactive process between the supervisor and employee and allows the opportunity to gain feedback from others in order to gain a broad perspective on accomplishments, progress and areas for growth.
Annual evaluations are due by June 30th!
As outlined in the Professional Staff Handbook, performance evaluations should be completed annually using the EPAS online evaluation tool.
Before the evaluation:
- Review the Performance Evaluation Manual for Supervisors.
- Gather and review relevant performance material. Materials should include the job description and any prior employee performance objectives.
- Meet with the employee prior to their formal evaluation to discuss the process and expectations.
- Discuss the upcoming performance evaluation meeting and set a due date for their self-evaluation.
- Determine any additional criteria and participants that will be a part of the employee’s evaluation.
- Provide the employee with a copy of their current job description.
- If an EPAS evaluation has not been created, complete the EPAS Evaluation Setup Request Form. HR will create the evaluation.
- Create the online evaluation form for your employee.
- After HR receives your email request, you will receive a notice with instructions on how to access the EPAS system.
- Monitor the completion of the evaluation participants
- You will not be able to complete the final evaluation until the employee has completed their self-evaluations and all peer/faculty/staff evaluations have been completed.
- Complete the evaluation online and prepare a draft version to bring to the evaluation meeting
During the evaluation:
- Review accomplishments, expectations and areas of growth.
- Discuss/develop goals for the upcoming year and reflect on the goals that were set the previous evaluation period.
- Take notes during discussion if any revisions need to be made to the formal evaluation.
After the evaluation:
- Print the final evaluation report and comment summary
- Confirm that the final evaluation has been signed and dated by the employee and supervisor
- Send the signed original evaluation to the Human Resources office at MS 9054
Training for Supervisors