IMPORTANT: Principal Investigators and/or Project Directors (PI’s/PD’s) who hire personnel with grant funds are responsible for managing personnel in accordance with Western’s policies. Please note: Substantial financial liabilities can occur when the hiring processes and policies listed below are overlooked. Please bookmark Western’s Human Resources website (https://wp.wwu.edu/hr/supervisor-department/) to review relevant policies and procedures and to access the resources listed below.
HR Consultant Assigned to You
- Your HR Consultant (point of contact) is Gretchen Lucas. She can be reached @ 360.650.2513.
Budgeting for Employees
- Budgets should be developed in collaboration with Pre-Award in the Office of Research & Sponsored Programs.
If you plan to include personnel (classified, exempt or temporary) in your budget, contact Debby Cwalina, HR Classification/Compensation Manager @ 360.650.3229 to obtain position description and salary information for the position.
- After the grant is awarded, PI’s/PD’s contact Stephanie Norsby, Employment System Administrator, @ 360.650.3306 for questions and/or assistance with the following:
- Proper hiring practices: Offer Letters, Out of State Employees, Position E-Verify
- If your grant has an E-verify clause, all hires (including yourself if you haven’t already been E-verified) are required to complete the Form I-9/E-Verify prior to starting any work on the grant. (in person, in the Human Resources office)
- Considerations when hiring internal candidates
- PI’s/PD’s are responsible for managing the following for personnel throughout employment:
- Correcting and approving time sheets as a payroll approver (becoming a payroll approver)
- Managing overtime and hours of work, per employee classification (ie, faculty, classified staff, etc.)
- Time reporting for vacation, sick leave, and leaves of absence for employees
- Cash out distribution for un-used vacation
- Termination, including notice of termination date and/or extending a termination date
- Performance evaluations
- Employee travel pay during travel
The Supervisor/ Department webpage https://wp.wwu.edu/hr/supervisor-department/for Human Resources is an excellent resource for information about the above responsibilities. Please read and/or call the Assistant Director of Payroll Sarah Crawford @ 360.650.6106 for assistance on most of these items.
- PI’s/PD’s who are managing personnel can receive supervisor training. To access training please talk with your HR Consultant Gretchen Lucas @360.650.2513 regarding training choices and access all training opportunities by visiting the Organizational & Talent Development website at: https://wp.wwu.edu/professional/trainingregistration/