Potential

Hello Reader,

Before we continue, just wanted to inform you that this is a rant based on my experience today in one of my classes, Compass 2 Campus, which leads to other topics. So please do not get offended it is not in my intention to offend, but if you do get offended please find the purpose I am trying to convey.

Part of C2C requires us to mentor at schools and I mentor 5th graders. Today they were practicing Mathematics, long division to be specific, and the teacher was teaching them a rather unique way and when I was helping some students, I decided to help them the way I knew. Long story short, I got in trouble (not really) with the teacher for teaching them “6th grade math” and not “5th grade math.

Here’s my opinion on the whole situation:

I’ll admit, it was my fault in not clarifying with the teacher on the situation; however, why would you hinder a child’s ability to learn by not challenging them? Why not challenge them to the most of their ability?

I understand as a teacher you have to follow the ethics/rules of the learning curriculum, but babying these children will not benefit them in anyway. If you hinder a child’s ability to not think for themselves and baby them in the beginning of their academic careers, they won’t think for themselves in the future. Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful for teachers for being the leaders of education and learning and what-not, but in the end if you protect your students you could ultimately be hurting them in the future OR if you don’t help guide (noticed I said guide, not help/baby/do their tasks for them) your students in times of struggle…you suck and shouldn’t be teaching. For example, if I knew my sister’s education was being hindered because the teacher was afraid of challenging her. You best believe, I’m taking her to a school that will (of course I wouldn’t, but would want my parents to switch her schools).

I feel like the same goes with parenting…

Parents, please don’t baby your children (but also don’t make them grow up so fast). Let your kids fall, fail, mess up, etc. because it teaches them about life. Don’t shelter them and create a world where everything is perfect because the moment they step out into the real world…they’re screwed because you created a fantasy of perfection. I’m in college and I see young people my age that can’t even think for themselves or do things without mommy or daddy (I understand there are certain circumstances, but if you’re 20 years old and don’t even know how to check your mail…that’s just sad).

I also did not intend this post to brag or anything, but I’m grateful for my parents and teachers. In my personal opinion (yes, this will be bias) I think my parents did a FREAKING AWESOMELY AMAZING JOB with my sister and I (congrats mom & dad, you didn’t fail at parenting!). They guided us in times of struggle, but they also made sure we were capable of doing things ourselves. They showed us that life is tough and there are challenges, but if we really set our mind to it we can accomplish anything. Thank you for not babying me because if you had I probably wouldn’t want to continually learn and grow.

And to my teachers, thank you for providing me not only academic lessons, but lessons about life as well. Thank you for challenging me and for that I constantly am willing to accept challenges and grow.

I understand the world isn’t a wish granting factory and that some kids aren’t as lucky as I to have such a positive upbringing. I bet if I was on the opposing side of this topic, I would have a different opinion. But that’s just it…maybe if we stop with a normal trends and begin a new trend (a trend that is actually beneficial) this world would maybe be just a little more brighter.

RANT ENDED (Again, if I offended you in anyway, I apologize. You have your own opinion and I respect that. You don’t have to agree with views which I will be okay with).

Love,

Kate