Rachel Hsu is 27, goes by she/her pronouns, and was born in Kenmore, WA but is currently living in Philadelphia, PA. Rachel decided to go to Western because she wanted to pursue an art degree within Washington State. She also was interested in Western because she wanted to attend a public liberal arts university so that she would be exposed to so many diverse fields and people. And four years ago, before moving to Philadelphia, Rachel was an Exhibition Coordinator at the Seattle Art Museum. And right now, Rachel is an MFA candidate in sculpture at Tyler School of Art and Architecture.

Rachel started her pursuit of art in high school and quickly became interested in the history and the symbolism of the materials that led to her pursuits in art. Even though Rachel wasn’t trained in photography, she is still pursuing many other forms of art. For example, during her time at Western, she made a unique series of videos portraits called, Offset. Along with other video projects called, Tether and Closer, Still. With Tether, Rachel says she taps into the “themes of objectification and voyeurism which are subject’s photography often deals with.” Along with her video projects, she also did explore the photography scene even if she wasn’t trained in photography during her time in Western. She created projects like Relieved As DaydreamsBetween Two Shores, and The Trace You Left. Rachel’s project, Relieved As Daydreams, tackles the subject of the emotional weight of morality while also serving as a “documentation of absence, revision of memory, and commemoration of those departed and those left behind,” As Rachel best puts it. Rachel also has many other stunning works of art that are not photography or video-based. Her other work employs the use of sculpting to create her projects.

Look at more of Rachel’s work at her website: http://www.rachelhsustudio.com/

1. Do you use any kind of camera at all? 

[Rachel] “I have a Nikkormat FT2 and an Instax Neo Classic. I use the latter more casually and mostly when traveling. Taking photos of people and giving them a photograph is a great icebreaker when I’m traveling alone.”

1. Do you shoot digital or film?

[Rachel] “Both, but I’m not formally trained in photography. My parents used to own a photo lab when I was a child and that familial history and material specificity has resurfaced in my work in recent years.”

1. How long have you been doing art?

[Rachel] “I started in high school and quickly became interested in the history and symbolism of materials, which led to my pursuits in sculpture.”

1. After graduating what did you decide to do with your art?

[Rachel] “It took me about a year and a half to find a balance between my artistic practice and professional career. I decided to travel alone for a while and really enjoyed meeting people from all over the world and taking photos just for myself. I needed a reminder of what it was about art-making that I loved. Coming back to Seattle and the Seattle Art Museum, I was able to refocus and push my work in interesting directions. Because I had stricter restrictions (no studio space, facilities, etc.) I had to investigate new materials and methods of making.”

1. Nathan told me you are a grad student at Tyler. Can you go into more details about your school and how it shaped your life today?

[Rachel] “Tyler is very community-oriented and encourages interdisciplinary experimentation. It’s been amazing to be surrounded by inspiring artists, filmmakers, and writers, as well as mentors like Karyn Olivier and Nancy Davenport. I’ve also been able to take cinematography classes in the film department, which has been instrumental in my recent video work.”

1. Who/what is your inspiration?

[Rachel] “Ann Hamilton, Doris Salcedo, Maggie Nelson, Ocean Vuong”

1. Is there a specific project you are working on right now?

[Rachel] “I haven’t focused too much on my artistic practice since quarantine but have recently picked up writing again. I’ve been giving myself time to adjust mentally to uncertainty and solitude. Additionally, I recently co-founded a cross-disciplinary online arts platform with Caitlin Scott, another WWU alum, in response to the Covid-19 pandemic called, Open Window.”

1. What are your goals for this project?

[Rachel] “Continuing my own artistic practice following rushed goodbyes and sudden quarantine seemed insincere to what I was personally feeling, which was a mixture of hope, anxiety, and depression. As the reality of the situation settled, I wanted to explore how art is formed and shaped by isolation and global change. The platform features recordings of recited poetry, artwork, curatorial projects, and the like. To be of some use, I’m trying to sustain the community I cherish in a time when I am physically unable to do so. In addition to featuring artistic projects, there’s a resource page where we are monitoring and updating different financial assistance opportunities.”

1. How is COVID affecting your project and workflow? 

[Rachel] “I’m working much slower now and taking long walks has become extremely important to my practice. This contemplative act has led to my current late-night writing practice.”

1. What are some of your most favorite projects you’ve done?

[Rachel]Never Mine to Keep is an exploration of my relationship with my sister following the announcement of her pregnancy. I constructed a dining table with blades of grass growing through it, which eventually led to my studio being overtaken by gnats. It was the first time I took time and effort to grow and nurture a living piece. Closer, Still is a very slow and introspective video installation. I think both of these pieces have been re-contextualized in light of Covid-19. What does it mean to want so badly to share physical connections with people you care about, but withholding because you’re trying to keep them safe? What do relationships and intimacy look like now?”