The Department of Art and Art History-Photography Concentration is delighted to present new work by Jackson Sweeny, the 2021 Skipping Stone photography scholarship recipient. He’s working on exciting new diptychs in color and black and white exploring portraiture and location.

“The focus of this exhibition is centered around human interaction. Through traditional analogue photography I created a body of portraits expressing the ways in which we view each other and our surroundings. The photographs were shot exclusively on black and white film to emphasize the importance of light when developing a powerful image. The tangible nature of film has had a monumental effect on my artistic practice, teaching me the significance of patience and deliberation. This body of work includes images of both natural and artificial light, playing with ideas of identity and the human gaze.”

– Jackson Sweeny, 2021

The work will be on display in the Fine Arts building in the Photo Lab Exhibition Space (Room 202), from Oct. 20- Nov. 30, 2021.

“As a photographer I often investigate themes related to people and the spaces they inhabit. Architecture and its use can be central, but the human experience is what drives much of my work. Through traditional portraiture and documentary style photography I hope to express the accelerated time we live in. Extreme urban growth can bring new opportunities, but can also lead to loss of heritage and culture. Spending much of my life in Seattle I have been both the recipient and direct proponent of this issue. Losing parts of our history to rapid development can be a necessary evil to make progress, only if our history is properly documented. My obsession with time and its transient nature is what drives me to create images. With this goal in mind I plan to one day become a photojournalist, producing work that is critical of contemporary issues and preserves the present moment.

Over the years analogue film has become crucial to my artistic practice. Working countless hours in the darkroom revealed more about the properties of light and the importance of deliberation. The medium incorporates an element of chance in each image. With every shot you need intent, as well as the presence of mind to know when to release the shutter. I hope to continue using film throughout my artistic journey, I still have so much to learn regarding the medium’s potential and what’s possible. I want my work to be proactive, if I can positively influence just a single person with an image then I consider that a success. I truly believe that I was put on this earth to be a photographer. I plan on doing everything in my power to make that a reality.”

– Artist Statement by Jackson Sweeny