A new exhibition is up at the fine arts building on WWU campus! Check out Dreamstate at the FI 2nd floor – 202 Exhibition Space between November 7th to December 9th, 2022! An interview with Mira Rani explores her exhibition, background and the Skipping Stone Scholarship.

• Cover image for Mira's exhibition has the words "Dreamstate" on top as well as text detailing the dates her exhibition will be up. A figure sits on a black and white tile floor next to a lamp atop a table. Her eyes are closed as if sleeping.
  • These nine images layed out in a three by three grid are the images of Mira's exhibition.
  • The three by three grid of Mira's photos are situated next to the cover image which occupies the wall next to them.
  • Three of Mira's prints are stacked along a worktable, they're loose paper and are unmounted to a backing board.
  • A freshly printed image of the cover image for Mira's exhibition is curled

An Interview with Mira Rani

• How did you find out about the Skipping Stone Scholarship?

I found out about the Skipping Stone Photography Scholarship through faculty encouragement to apply! 

• What did you feel/went through your head when you found out you would be awarded the Skipping Stone Scholarship?

I was so excited! I’ve never been awarded an art scholarship before, so this felt like a really great achievement.

• How long have you been doing art?

I’ve been passionate about art for as long as I can remember, but I became interested in photography when I was in middle school. I took my first official photography class (all film based) in my Sophomore year of high school, and that’s where I really fell in love with it. 

• How have you used the money you received to pursue and enhance your art? What is the most significant contribution this money has had on your life and or your art?

This money went straight into my tuition for the rest of the school year, which always eases a bit of financial stress, and has allowed some flexibility in pursuit of art supplies. 

• How is this reflected in your life today?

I definitely feel like this scholarship has elevated the beginning of my photography career. It’s gotten my name out there a bit more, which results in more people knowing and being excited about my art! It’s also motivated me so much to work on the professional side of my photography, since I’ve been getting quite a few more opportunities since receiving this scholarship.

• Do you currently have any projects or pieces in the making?

I’m currently focusing on building my portfolio and getting better at my craft. Since I specialize in portraits, I’m really trying to explore what I can do with that and having tons of creative portrait photoshoots with friends. I’ve also started trying some food photography and am currently working with Chuckanut Bay Foods as one of their photographers. 

• How has your life changed since transitioning to online school and other changes due to COVID-19? How has this been reflected in your art?

COVID was really hard on me as an art student, especially since I am a people photographer. So I used that time to finish my Psychology minor which I believe ultimately helped me understand myself and the people around me better, and enhanced my people skills that I use in everyday shoots. I’m lucky to have been early enough in my degree when COVID happened that I wasn’t taking too many art classes, but when things began to open up a bit it definitely made the socializing and networking aspects tricky to get back into, which is a big part of my job as a people photographer. I developed a lot of the “backstage skills” during this time you could say, like photoshop and editing skills. 

• Can you give any insight, tips or advice for future art students at WWU and all over the world about life as an artist in college?

As an art student, my main piece of advice is to take lots of different types of art classes! Painting is also a favorite art medium of mine, and the color theory skills I learned from those classes show really strongly in my photography, and bring my photos to a whole new level. I also strongly recommend socializing with as many other art students as you can. Developing a community is so important as an artist, and we all support each other! Those connections might be useful in the future, and it’s so exciting to see your peers’ art. I often find I learn almost as much from my peers as I do my professors. Bouncing ideas and thoughts off of each other is super important in my opinion.  

• What was the scholarship application process like? Can you give some tips to future applicants?

Applying for scholarships can be intimidating, but this process was pretty straightforward. I created a portfolio and wrote an artist statement, which I submitted for multiple scholarships. Apply for as many as you can! I also suggest showing diversity in your work. Although some of the scholarships are medium specific, I still think that diverse art shows a wide range of skills, and this is the time to show those skills off. 

• Why is it important for students to be aware of and apply to scholarships such as the Skipping Stone Photography Scholarship?

Especially for art students who rely on expensive supplies, any financial opportunities should be on your priority list. It’s also a really great way to showcase yourself and your work and get recognized for it. I was given the opportunity to do my exhibition, “Dreamstate”, because of this scholarship, which absolutely boosted my name in the art community at Western which I am so grateful for!

Dreamstate

• A dark room with a bring window, silhouetted against the window is a person standing on a table, another person beside them is sitting on the table. Yellow graffiti decorates the wall next to them.
  • Self Portrait of Mira Rani, her neck is stretched out and face is tilted up, her eyes are closed. Her figure is oriented upside-down so her head emerges from the top of the photo.
  • A person with black curly hair and a patterned shirt is sitting and leans their elbow against the red chair. They're in a lecture hall, with red chairs in rows and a yellow stripped background.
  • A woman sits on her knees in a tan dress, eyes closed and arms atop her head and shoulder. She is in the woods surrounded by bright green leaves.
  • A person with short auburn hair lays their head against their arm and looks at the viewer. Their reflection is reflected by a mirror in front of them.
  • A woman in a black t-shirt grabs a branch of white flowers and green leaves. The branch is obscuring most of her face.
  • A person sits on a concrete staircase and looks back at the viewer. At the bottom of the staircase is a sign which says "Please show your wristband."
  • A woman with brown hair wearing a blouse is holding a pink candle infront of her. The lighting is pink and yellow.
  • A woman in a dress steps into swelling ocean waves.

Artist Statement

Dreamstate has been a concept I’ve been very captivated by in the past few years, and it’s been heavily influencing my art. As someone who struggles with disassociation, I often feel disconnected; like I’m existing in somewhat of a dream-state myself. I wanted to create a kind of alternate reality with this exhibition, something that the viewer could step into and exist in for a moment themselves. These nine portraits all highlight different senses, whether it be hearing a muffled band in the lower left, the smell of pollen in early spring in middle right, or feeling the smooth flow of water just below that. I love the ambiguity they hold, inviting the viewer to immerse themselves into each unfinished story. Color is a huge part of this exhibition as well, as they aid in creating a mood for each photo, and my use of color theory creates both harmonious and conflicting moments. I think this series is a good representation of how I approach portraits in general as well. I find people very interesting and beautiful and enjoy how each individual inspires my creative process for every shoot. This exhibition is a product of the Skipping Stone Photography Scholarship and I am so grateful for the opportunity and to the donors that contributed. 

Biography of Mira Rani

Mira Rani was born and raised in Seattle, Washington into a very artistic family. She grew up around all types of art, with her parents both being musicians and having a neighborhood full of painters, photographers, and ceramicists. She spent most of her early years as a musician herself, but began to explore other types of art, like photography, in her early teens. She had been casually taking photos until her Sophomore year of high school where she took her first film photography class, and the darkroom quickly became her second home. She soon became one of the top in her class, and jumped to AP photography within the next year. Her passion grew throughout high school, eventually leading her to Western Washington University where she is currently completing her BA in Studio Art, with a concentration in photography. She hopes to carry on into a BFA, and eventually get her Masters in photography and further her artistic career.