Monday, May 14, 2018
10:30 AM, OM 413
Chris Casquilho, Joanne DeMark, Marlene Harlan (President), Pete Lockhart, April Markiewicz, Leti Romo, Shalini Singh, and Caitlyn Sommers.
Unavailable: Anna Blick, Max Bronsema, Chris Miller, Bob Putich, and Catherine Shornick
PSO General Business
- Approval of Meeting Minutes, April 9, 2018: Markiewicz Moved and DeMark Seconded the Motion to approve the Meeting Minutes. Motion approved.
- PSO General Membership Meeting Agenda for Review: The meeting will be held May 31st in SL150 from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm. Refreshments will be provided. The final agenda for the meeting will be as follows:
- PSO Executive Committee Elections
- PSO Excellence in Service Award
- President Sabah Randhawa Comments with Q&A
- NCPS Conference Update
Items from the Floor
Lockhart suggested having PSO committee descriptions and sign-up sheets at the meeting to facilitate getting members signed up for the 2118-19 academic year. Miller or Lockhart will get the sheets ready for the meeting.
Miller was unavailable, however he is working on committee recruitment.
PSO Executive Committee Elections
Lockhart has prepared a Nomination form in Survey Monkey with the open EC positions listed. He will send a draft to the EC to review and see that the final version is sent out to the membership before the close of day today (May 14th). Nomination forms will be due by 5:00 pm on May 25th and Election ballots sent out on May 29th. Social Justice/Equity Committee: Tabled.
EC Secretary Position Replacement
Harlan will send an invitation first to the EC since it is an officer position. If no one is interested in the position, an invitation will be sent out to the membership. The replacement will be appointed by the EC and serve one year in the position.
PSO Social Justice and Equity Committee
DeMark reported that several PSO employees have been recruited to serve on the committee. They include: Rebekah Beardsall, Samantha (Sam) Golden, Jocylyn Kelly, Leti Romo, Shalini Singh, Anna Blick, and Joanne DeMark. She is still seeking more members with specific workplace interests in veterans, those with disabilities, LGBTQ employees, and other protected and non-represented groups.
PSO Award for Excellence
Lockhart has a Survey Monkey set up for soliciting nominations for the PSO award. He will send it out to the EC for review and then get it sent out next week. There was some conversation about whether to send it out at the same time as the EC nomination form, however the consensus was to send them separately to reduce confusion and due dates.
Lockhart also expressed concerns about the perpetual plaque and whether it was being updated each year. Markiewicz and Lockhart will track down the plaque and see whether it needs to be updated. (Epilogue: The plaque was located in the glass case in the WL Reading Room and was up-to-date in award winners. The header plate on the plaque, however, was out of date and Lockhart volunteered to see about getting it replaced with a new header plate.)
PSO Compensation Standards Update
Harlan reported she had met with Chyerl Wolfe-Lee and been informed that the Vice Presidents met on April 16th and reviewed the proposed changes to the PSO Compensation Standards. They do not support transitioning to a three-step process to calculate market-based salary ranges for pro staff. The additional step we had proposed would have adjusted individual salary ranges based on market movement for that position. The process will remain a two-step process in which an average market-based salary range adjustment will be made followed by an adjustment based on an employee’s years in position (YIP) in accordance with Table 1.
The VPs do support the change in Table 1 from 0-3 years to a 0-5 year category so that the employee would be at 100% of their market range in their 5th year. All this information is currently hearsay since we have not received a copy of the current draft that the VPs support.
Wolfe-Lee told Harlan that the VPs will be meeting with President Randhawa on May 21st to get his approval on the final draft of the Standards. Markiewicz expressed concern that the Standards should not be given to the President before we have had a chance to review the VPs comments and proposed changes. She stated we have also not been provided market range data for pro staff as promised and recommended that Harlan first talk to Wolfe-Lee to obtain the VP draft and data. If, however, neither are forthcoming, then the EC should write a memo to President Randhawa stating our concerns over the lack of transparency and exclusion of the EC from having access to the final draft and data. Moreover, as such we could not approve the revised Standards sight unseen.
- New Employee Meeting/Mixer will be held on Wednesday May 30th in the Solarium from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm. It is a great opportunity to meet new pro staff and tell them all the wonders of being a PSO member! Plus there’s refreshments!
- New Employee Orientation: Markiewicz attended the reformatted new employee orientation from 8:15 to 8:45 am to meet the three new pro staff, however none of them showed up for the one-on-one session nor the orientation. Harlan noted it was further evidence we need to be proactive in having our division reps reach out to the new hires individually. She has therefore compiled a list of all the new pro staff hires and will send it to all the EC members so they can contact those new staff in their division
- PSO General Membership Meeting – May 31st from 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm in SL 150.
- Executive Committee Meeting – Monday, June 11th, 10:30 AM, ES 530.