Need a to make a record request? Follow the steps below to get started!
How to Request a Record
- Download and print the Public Records Request Form.
- Complete sections I and III of the form, and be specific in describing the records requested.
- Send the completed form by Mail, Fax, or Email.
Public Records Office
516 High Street
Bellingham, WA 98225
Responding to a Public Records Request
- The Public Records Officer will respond to a request within five business days of receipt of the request in the Public Records Office. The response may take one of the following forms:
- Acknowledge the request and give a reasonable date for providing the records. This date may be extended as necessary to accommodate the collection and processing of the records
- Provide the requested records
- Deny the request and provide an explanation for the denial. Request a clarification about the request where the request is unclear or does not sufficiently identify the requested records
- Provide an installment schedule for provision of the records
- The Public Records Officer locates and requests records from departments
- The Public Records Officers reviews and redacts records which fall under legal exemptions
- Documents that do not fall under any exemptions are released to the requester
- Documents that are exempt from disclosure based on applicable laws and federal statutes are redacted and an exemption log attached to the records
- Requester pays for records provided
- The Public Records Officer provides record to requester