Meet the Author

Hello! My name is Ali Stackman and I am in Heather Loepp’s English 101 class. I grew up in Redmond, WA and enjoy a lot of things from the outdoors to books. Math has always been my favorite subject as a student. Both of my parents were business and math majors, so I was always surrounded by numbers and left-brained explanations. But as a leaner, I always craved to branch out from my parents method of thinking and look towards more of a creative way of thinking. I really enjoy learning about  more sociological concepts and how humans interact with each other and our planet. I have always had a passion for social justice issues and overall inclusion and equality. As I mentioned earlier, I love to read! Though English has always been one of my least favorite subjects, I can appreciate a great book. They have always provided me with an escape and a safe place for me to settle into.

I chose to explore the theme of Rupi Kaur (though she is much more than just a “theme”). She is one of my favorite authors of all time. I have read almost all of her work and she has helped me voice a lot of difficult concepts that I had a hard time understanding. The five different genres I explored of Rupi Kaur were: poetry, photography, a spoken word performance, a podcast, and my own drawing. Of all of these, poetry was definitely my favorite genre of writing. Rupi Kaur explains things through poetry in such a simplistic yet powerful way.

I really struggled when deciding what theme to chose for my web text because there were a lot of things that I was interested in, but couldn’t put my finger on it. Whenever I have a feeling or an emotion but can’t understand it, Rupi Kaur and her poetry has always been somewhere I go for that. That’s when I decided to do my web text about her! I loved doing this project because I was able to learn more about Rupi through all sorts of writing genres that I would have never learned from just her poetry.