Sharing Science, Policy, and Ecosystem Learning across the Salish Sea
The Salish Sea includes Puget Sound, the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Strait of Georgia. As an international inland sea, the marine waters are managed by Canada, United States, Province of British Columbia, State of Washington, over 65 Tribes and First Nations and many local jurisdictions.
The Salish Sea Institute:
- Promotes dialogue and partnerships among people, organizations and agencies throughout First Nations and tribal communities, Washington State, and British Columbia
- Serves as the administrative home of the Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference
- Hosts gatherings to cultivate collaborative governance and protection of the Salish Sea
- Develops place-based curriculum, research and events for students to explore the environment, history and communities of the Salish Sea
- Fosters a sense of place and raises awareness of the value of the Salish Sea and the issues that threaten its health