Our summer internship program is for current students or recent graduates of a 2- or 4- year institution of higher education, who have a passion for marine life, marine ecosystems, scientific investigation, and community work. Students will experience a unique, mentored program integrating scientific research, education and outreach, and aquarium care.
The program involves:
- Marine environmental research mentored by aquarium staff, on topics such as food web dynamics and estuarine ecology and environmental science
- Communicating science to a broad audience through the public aquarium
- Creation and maintenance of aquarium exhibits & animal care
Applicants must be able to:
- Learn new skills and information quickly and adapt to a fast-paced, innovative, ever-changing work environment
- Work both independently on specific duties as well as on a tight-knit team with other interns, staff, and volunteers
- Understand and follow written and oral instruction, have excellent communication, organization, and record keeping skills
- Physically perform environmental research and aquarium work, which involves both field and laboratory work as well as climbing ladders in the aquarium.
- Work on weekends (the public aquarium is open)
- Respect and comfortably interact with people of all ages and a range of backgrounds
- Internship is 10 weeks, full-time, from June 25 – August 31, 2018
- Internship stipend of $5,000 is provided
- The internship program supports 2 students
- Summer interns can fulfill internship or other credit requirements for WWU college degree programs. Students who could carry on the research projects at the SEA Discovery Center after summer and through the academic year have the opportunity to continue, pending performance evaluation.
- This program does not provide support for housing, but dorm housing is available for participants to rent, located nearby in Bremerton.
How to Apply
Applications due April 30, 2018
- Cover letter addressing your interest in this internship and your previous experiences that demonstrate your qualifications
- Transcript (unofficial is fine)
- Two letters of recommendation. Recommendation letters may be emailed directly from your recommenders to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘SEA Discovery Internship’ in the subject line.