Arrival

Lyon is more wonderful and welcoming than I ever expected. It has the excitement of a big city, the quaintness of a small town, and lacks the touristy kitsch found in Paris. It’s lovely and genuine and I can already tell a month will not be enough.

After meeting my host mom, we walked back to their apartment along the Saône river. Lining the banks were beautiful old buildings painted in pinks and oranges and illuminated by the afternoon sun. People were sitting by the river with their feet dangling so their toes grazed the water. I spoke with her nervously in my dusty French. Three years of not practicing and almost 20 hours of travelling made me a poor conversationalist, but I tried nonetheless to ask her questions about her life and Lyon. We passed a group of teenagers playing loud techno music. My host mom looked at me, rolled her eyes and said: “C’est penible.” I didn’t know this word, but after hearing her use it a few more times I learned it means “annoying.” Already, I see how building a dictionary of personal experiences will give me a richer and deeper understanding of French. However, the largest culture shock I’ve had since arriving has been the language barrier between me and my host family. With the people in my program, I speak English. Out in the city, I know the phrases and words I need to get by. It’s completely different with my host family because though they know some English, they refuse to speak any with me. Trying to have an actual conversation with my host parents or trying to follow a conversation they’re having can be exhausting and discouraging. My second dinner with them, they asked me a question I thought I understood. I gave them an answer. They looked at me blankly, then changed the subject. I spent the rest of the meal holding back tears of frustration. Yet, there have also been moments where things have clicked; where I have felt a sense of mutual understanding. In these moments, I am overcome with a sense of satisfaction, pride, fulfillment, and glee.

The next day, I went on a walking tour of the city with the USAC program. This was my first time meeting any of them, but many of them went to Paris together and already knew each other. I was worried about being on the outside because of this, but everyone seems extremely nice and I’m excited to get to know them all better! I learned a lot more about Lyon on the walking tour. For example: there are secret passages called “traboules” between buildings that were originally used by silk workers to transport silk when it was raining, but were later used by the French Resistance to move around the city discreetly!

My first day of class was wonderful. For the next four weeks, we will be studying French arts during the Romantic period. I am usually a very quiet student and rarely volunteer an answer. However, in a class of seven people, I’ve found it surprisingly easy! After three semesters of large science lectures, spending two hours each day looking at and describing paintings from the 1800s is a refreshing change. My other classes are travel photography, drawing, and basic French conversation. For photography and drawing, we will get to meet in a different location each class. I think this will be a great way to see more of the city and can’t wait for them to start! Basic conversation is also a lot of fun. The class is meant for any students not on the French language track, so everyone is at a different level. Because of this, our professor divided us into two groups-one with no background in French, and one with some background in French. In my group is my professor for my Romantic Arts class. She is incredibly nice and speaks French really well. I’m glad I’ll be able to get to know her better as a peer.

So far, everything I’ve experienced has only made me more excited about the month ahead of me. There is even hope in the challenging moments. I can’t wait.

arriving in Lyon’s center – Place Bellecour

a view of the city from Fourviere

a market of antiques at the end of the walking tour

Lyon pride parade

what I’ll get to see on my walk to school each day