Viking eBikes are available for free to the entire Western community!
The Office of Sustainability is providing electric bikes to study sustainable transportation at Western and we’re looking for your participation. Getting started is easy – just look below for how to check out one of our free eBikes.
How To Get Started
Note: The Viking eBike Pilot Project will end on June 15, 2018, and the Sustainable Transportation office will not be managing the Viking eBikes any longer. Ride while you can!
Check out an eBike for a few days:
The Office of Sustainable Transportation offers an eBike for a free, short-term loan – up to 4 days. This is the quickest and best way to learn about our electric bikes. Here is the process for short-term check-outs:
- Complete the orientation request form. You will need to attend a 20 minute orientation prior to your check-out.
- Complete the reservation request form.
- Pick up an eBike and ride!
Latest News and Events
Be sure to subscribe (bottom right) to receive updates about Viking eBike news and events!
- Jessica Cruises with Ease June 19, 2018Jessica is a student at Western, and she was the last person to check out a Viking eBike for a short term loan. Check out what she has to say about her e-biking experience. As soon as I test rode the Viking eBike at orientation I knew I had to get my hands on…
- Wrap Up Party June 7, 2018As the Viking eBike program comes to a close here at Western's Sustainable Transportation office, we would like to recap the event we hosted on May 31 for those that could not attend. On the morning of the 31st, we hosted the Viking eBike Wrap Up Party to share with the University our findings…
- BFF's (Bike Friends Foreva) June 1, 2018Look who a Viking eBike found to hang out with! We love to see our eBikes mingle with other bikes and eBikes of the world. Makes us feel like proud bi-pedal parents.
- Electric Enthusiasm May 24, 2018It's not often that we'll get a rider like Western student Sean Dever who is equally as passionate about biking as he is about understanding the electrical mechanics that go into electric bikes. We appreciate the enthusiasm, advice, and reality checks Sean offers in his assessment of the Viking eBike and its incorporation into his…
- Long Live...Cyclists? May 8, 2018https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/05/03/study-people-who-bike-to-work-live-longer-than-people-who-drive/?utm_source=Sightline%20Institute&utm_medium=web-email&utm_campaign=Sightline%20News%20Selections The British Medical Journal has released a study documenting the health and transportation habits of British citizens. They found an overwhelming correlation between those who regularly bicycle to work and their avoidance of cancer and cardiovascular disease. Their conclusion reads, "Cycle commuting was associated with a lower risk of CVD, cancer, and all…
- Michael's Musings April 19, 2018As our sun finally breaks free of our wet skies (for a couple days) we look forward to hearing how our new eBikers are adjusting to the electric bike experience. Dr Michael Medler of Huxley College is one of our new riders. He comes at the project with a long history of cycling, but…