Western Washington University’s assessment plan defines a set of developmental steps leading to a continuous institutional system for assessing student performance. The developmental steps include
- Departmental and program-level mission statements derived from the University Mission and Strategic Action Plan
- The establishment of departmental and program-level student learning outcomes
- Opportunities to learn (curriculum) aligned with the student learning outcomes
- Measurement of student performance relative to student learning outcomes.
- The collection, analysis and sharing of data derived from these assessments.
- The systematic use of this data to improve programs and operations.
At Western assessment is continuous in that it is structured as an iterative feedback process of ongoing program improvement.
In order that faculty have ownership of assessment efforts, Western’s assessment structure is decentralized: faculty-driven department and program assessment plans form the foundation of our assessment efforts. Examples of these plans, and resources on assessment at Western, can be found under the assessment menu on the left of this page.