Extension Project D – Reflection on Data Gathering

The first research study that I participated in was a survey involving sleep. I gave them answers regarding my sleep habits, as well as what I do during the day. I told them what my GPA and academic habits are. They asked me then what my average sleep schedule was and how effective I feel my sleeping is. That is if I wake up during the night, am I a light sleeper or do I sleep hard, what time do I fall asleep on the weekends vs. school nights. What stood out in their data gathering research was the correlations they were putting together such as credits in school and sleep and hours of extracurricular activities and homework. What stood out about this design/project was how detailed the questions were getting. The questions were getting so specific, it was possible to piece together somethings everyday life in terms of sleeping and activities. The researchers wanted to understand how and why kids are getting the type of sleep they are getting, and they were able to determine this. With the questions they were asking, it will be very clear to understand the sleeping habits of each candidate, as essentially the researcher can piece together the daily lives of each participant and then gage their sleeping behaviors.

The second research study I participated in was involved in the slogans of companies and how that affected our perception of the company. The researchers had a list of probably 20 differing companies and with that, they asked each participant to type out the slogan and then rate the company on a scale of 1 – 10 regarding how much we like and know this company. It was pretty clear to me, that the slogans I did remember, I also had a good understanding of this company. I really enjoyed this project as it’s clear the correlation between understanding the slogan and understanding the company. It also is evident that when processing the information, one can tell if someone understood part of the slogan, they understand the company a little bit, and if they know the slogan exactly, they have a rich understanding of that company, which is valuable as it enables the researchers to easily see who has a good understanding of what company and who doesn’t.

The third research study I participated in was an interview that involved music and what makes the “perfect” song. The researcher was asking questions like what I look for in a song and what I want to have in a song if I was creating one? What I want the message to be and what aspects of the beat and voice I listen for in that song? It was eye-opening because when I listen to a song that I think is really good, I listen to the beat, the falsettos and the tones of the singer, the lyrics and the message they are trying to get across. I think the answers they were receiving, including mine, gave them the opportunity to piece together the “perfect” song, as they understand what makes a song attractive. They asked my age, gender and music preference as all these facts help determine what the “perfect” song is.

One thought on “Extension Project D – Reflection on Data Gathering