Adrianna Sam

Adrianna Sam is an undergraduate student currently earning a BA at Western Washington University. She shares about her experience working on research projects below.

1) When did you start working on research with Dr. Warren and in what capacity?

I started working with Dr. Warren in the fall of 2021 through my work study position as a faculty assistant in the Department of Management at Western.

2) What are the different activities you are working on in your projects?

In my first year as a research assistant, I have worked with Dr. Warren on three projects. I co-authored a book chapter on gender-based violence intervention in Congo, a book chapter on intragroup hostility toward immigrants, and an article on the relevance of positive psychology in global issues.

3) What skills have you developed through your research assistantship?

While working on these projects, I have strengthened my researching and professional writing skills as well as learned more about the publication process. I learned APA formatting and writing and gained experience in data collection and analysis. I’ve been given many opportunities to help write and edit manuscripts, which I’m extremely grateful for, because as challenging as it is, it’s very rewarding to contribute to these important works this way. I’ve also improved my collaboration and organizational skills being a research assistant. I really enjoy working with Dr. Warren because I am pushed to adapt and further my ideas and creativity.

4) What are your ambitions for how you want to use this research experience for your future professional goals?

I plan to apply the research experience and skills I’ve gained to my interests and future endeavors. I plan to major in business administration. However, regardless of what I choose to study, I know everything I’ve learned as a research assistant will be used in my education, future jobs, and interactions. And I hope to continue researching.