Some Departmental and Group websites are hosted on the CampusWeb server. Each share has a test and production capability built-in that enables you to prepare things for the web and be able to view them securely before uploading to the production site. First Connect to CampusWeb then proceed with the instructions below.
Set Default File Type
This is only needed the very first time you set up Dreamweaver.
Go to Preferences > New Document and set the Default Extension to “.shtml” if you’re working with the Western Template.
Set Advanced Settings, Local Info to Complete your site
- Go to Site, New Site (or Site, Manage Sites to edit an existing Site) from the Dreamweaver menu.
- Select the Site menu item on the left.
- Select the Site Name input box and type the name of the site you’re interested in working on, such as waterfront in our example below.
- For the Local Site Folder, browse to the smb mounted file share you mounted for your CampusWeb share and select the matching waterfront folder.
- Select the Servers menu item on the left hand menu. Click the ‘+‘ icon on the bottom right of the Servers screen. Set the server name to production.
- Set ‘Connect using‘ to ‘Local/Network‘. To set the ‘Server Folder‘, browse to the smb share you mounted for CampusWeb and select the ‘prod’ folder under the share you’re interested in, ‘waterfront’ in our example.
- To set the Web URL, append www.wwu.edu/sharename (waterfront in our example) to the http:// prefix.
- Select Local Info from the menu on the left.
- Set Links Relative to: Site Root
- Set web url to http://www.wwu.edu/sharename, waterfront in our example.
Edit on the built-in Test Folder
Make your changes to the Test folder so that you can securely view and test your site changes before putting them to the production site. To view your test site use this url:http://wwwtest.wwu.edu/sharename
To set up a site to use the test instance:
Select Site, New Site, and then put in this information under the Site panel:
- Site Name: Sharename (or anything you want)
- Local Site Folder: \\msfs-share\campusweb\sharename\test
Alternative: Edit directly on Production
If you wish to edit directly on Production, just do the above step using …\share\prod in the Local Site Folder above. Then skip setting up the Remote Server as Production below.
Set up Your Remote Server as Production
Select the Servers panel on the left side (see below) and then type in this information:
- Server Name: Sharename (or anything you want)
- Connect Using: Local/Network
- Server Folder: \\msfs-share\campusweb\sharename\prod
- Web Url: http://www.wwu.edu/sharename
Easily post to production (live site) when you’ve finished testing
When you have tested your site at your test url (http://wwwtest.wwu.edu/sharename) then you can post your changes to the remote site and check it at the production url:
- Select the files you have changed by selecting them in the Files view on your Dreamweaver screen. Below you can see that one file has been selected – it is the filename highlighted in grey.
- If you wish to select additional files or folders, control-click to select the additional lines.
- When everything you have changed is selected, select the up arrow which turns blue when you select it.
- When all the files have transferred, open a browser to the your production site and review your edits.