Spain: Pre-Departure: “Phase 1 Preparation Time” by Nick Gillett

Phase I: Preparation Time

PHASE I: PREPARATION TIME

Leading up to my very first European adventure- I am frantically attempting to gather every possible thing I might need or need to know for studying abroad. In a matter of days I will be hopping on a plane to the beautiful Spanish city of Barcelona, where the dreary Washington weather will be thousands of miles away and the Mediterranean climate will be patiently waiting. As I will be traveling outside the country alone (another first), a lot of thought has gone into this trip. For ten months I have been pursuing intel on what to pack and with six weeks in Europe and a thousand places I want to go; my idealistic and realistic ideas have to find a common ground.

How to prepare for the unknown- lists. Countless lists comprised of: what to pack, what not to pack, how to minimize, pesky travel rules, and any advice I could find, have been recorded. Seemingly, the more I write down the more things I realize I am forgetting and thus more refining. Essentially lists are key to organization and help me remember items I may need. This brainstorming process gave me a better look at life in Barcelona. From how they dress to the food they eat- researching enlisted some exploration of the foreign culture I am about to enter.

With my departure fast approaching, my Spanish excursion is beginning to feel real. I find myself riddled with excitement, anticipation, and hype. Although one can never be too prepared (i.e my high school Spanish could use some practice) challenges abroad are meant to put students outside their comfort zones, with keeping the prospect of culture shock and the inevitable language barrier in the corner of my brain- I am ready to say “¡Adiós Estados Unidos!”Photo on 7-6-16 at 6.01 PM