Ireland: Pre-Departure: “So Long, North America!” by Mikayla Monroe

So Long, North America!

So Long, North America!

As I write (eager as ever with only one day until my departure!), I can’t help but think of all the adventures I’ll have while studying abroad this summer. Through AIFS (the American Institute for Foreign Study), I’ll be studying international marketing and business at the National University of Ireland, Maynooth, which is about half an hour west of Dublin. Every weekend we’ll go on an excursion to a different part of Ireland, such as Galway and Glendalough. And because I’m doing the flight package with AIFS, I’ll also take part in a 2-day pre-trip to London with other students in my program!

I am pretty excited about everything—even mingling in an Irish on-campus dining hall! I am most excited about meeting new people and experiencing a different culture through language and lifestyle. Plus, what better way to learn about international marketing and business than in an international country? Class time will be quite fun when the professor has an Irish accent, and I’m curious to see how homework in Ireland varies from homework in America. The scenery will be amazing and such a lush green, and I’ll have plenty of opportunities to explore castles and bike around a relaxing country.

I am, however, a tad worried about the nitty gritty of the flights. Not the act of flying—I’ve always enjoyed it—but little things such as my checked bag ending up at the same destination and finding the right terminal. But I know that I’ll be fine because there will be plenty of signage and people able to answer my questions.

As thrilled as I am, I wouldn’t be this comfortable or ready to leave had I not done my research. I looked up various resources on what to pack and what weather to expect for my month abroad in Ireland. Like the Pacific Northwest, the weather can go from rain to sun in a matter of minutes, so I’m packing layers to be ready for anything. I was accepted to study abroad in December, so as you can imagine my parents gifted me with various things to help prepare for my trip: a plug adapter, map of Ireland, hand-held Irish flag, a money belt, and a SCOTTeVEST, a vest with eighteen different pockets! It’s also good to remember that during my time in London and the United Kingdom I will use British Pounds as currency, while in the Republic of Ireland I will use Euros.

Aside from the internet, a book about Ireland from the Lonely Planet has been helpful and will continue to be while I’m abroad. Most of the book provides detailed information about cities in Ireland, and in the back it provides some cultural tidbits and history about Ireland that I’ve read to understand some of their conflicts and major events.

In addition to the internet and books, I asked around. People who had traveled internationally became one of my best resources, plus, people are always happy to tell you about their amazing experiences. Even my hair dresser, who had gone to Germany and the Baltic Sea a couple of times, gave me useful information on flights. AIFS and the Education Abroad Office at Western Washington University have been of immense help preparing for my program. Talk to your study abroad advisors: they’re there to help you with their knowledge and experience!

Now that I’ve done the research and gathered all my materials, I can’t wait to dive into everything Ireland has to offer!About Me

2 thoughts on “Ireland: Pre-Departure: “So Long, North America!” by Mikayla Monroe

1. Alison June 29, 2017 / 3:14 pm

So exciting! Looking forward to hearing about the journey.

2. Katherine July 8, 2017 / 7:59 pm

I love the pictures!! I want to go to Ireland!