Italy: Pre Departure: “Prepping for International Adventure” by Kaylee R Hersch

Prepping for International Adventure!

Hello Everyone!

Goals for Interning in Italy! 

First off, if you dont know this already, I have been accepted to intern at the International School of Bologna. There I will be working with secondary students in an art classroom. Being given this opportunity I mainly hope to gain the experience of a lifetime by visiting another country. I’ve never left the United states before and have always wanted the opportunity to experience another culture in person. Being an art major, I’ve taken many art history classes, learning about other cultures and their pasts. But learning from books and seeing images or even videos is not the same as living through the experience and visiting another culture in person. I want to indulge in the Italian lifestyle. Eating at all the local restaurants, viewing their historical towns and country sides, drinking a cappuccino for breakfast, and most importantly getting to meet the Italian people. I am trying to learn the language. At this point, I have a little of it down, but have far more to go. I’m hoping while I’m there I can pick up the language easier since I will have actual people to talk to.

I have been trying to prep as much as I can for this adventure. I have been readin

g many other blogs and travel sites on visiting Italy. Pinterest has been a real lifesaver for information on Italy itself as well as travel tips and what to bring.  (My pinterest Travel page ) One thing I was glad to have read on a blog I found through pinterest is about dress code, especially when visiting churches or other religious sites. One should not show their shoulders, be modest/cover up and wear appropriate clothing. NO JEANS (they’re not respectful). 

I am so excited to start this new adventure towards my career. I get the opportunity to learn from yet another teacher as well as the students at ISB. Having this chance in a foreign country is like icing on the cake! Also the fact that Italy is on the top of my “Most wanted places to see” list. 

I can’t wait to visit all the beautiful towns and cities that are also on that list. Such as: Rome, Venice, Florence and Milan! I’ve also heard many wonderful things about Bologna, which is where I will be staying. I’ve done some research on the town and look forward to walking through the streets and meeting as many people as I can.

Although I love to meet new people, I am also very nervous about this whole exp

erience. I’ve never left the US before and change can be quite frightening. I’m going to be on my own for the most part and that can be nerve racking. I just need to keep reminding myself of all the wonderful reasons why I will be there. I am sure looking forward to this exciting yet scary next step in my life. 

My Strategies to overcome my Fears ✍ 💪😱

Thankfully while I am over in Italy I will not fully be alone. I have the fortune of being placed in the same school as another Intern and we will be rooming together in a cute little apartment. I have a few plans put together in order to add more fun to this trip. With this website I have created I am able to share photos, stories and daily video logs with anyone who signs up. This way I can share my experience with those who are seriously interested. I also like the idea of having a way to check in with multiple people on a daily or weekly basis for safety purposes. It is my plan to let everyone of my friends and family know to check in on my blogs and social media for actual updates, letting them know I am doing great and am safe. Even though, I like to believe in the good of others, I’m not naive. I know there are people out there who wish to do harm, so I want to take precautions. That doesn’t mean I can’t have FUN while doing so! I am going to take as many photos as I can to share with you all the magnificent sites of Italy and their hidden treasures. I will also share my experiences during this journey while I will be doing my student teaching. Be prepared for quite a few stress blogs that have me freaking out about lesson planning or the big EdTPA process I have to go through for my teachers certificate. I’m a little nervous about that, but I also believe my professors helped me prepare for this step in my life! I’m so excited guys! I can not wait till NEXT Sunday! It’s so close.

p.s.

Let me know what you would like to see in future blogs. As well as what I could change/add to my website or blog post!

Thank you Everyone!