France: Post Program Reflections by Grace Peyerwold

t’s now been a month since I returned from France. I have spent the same amount of my summer at home as I did in Lyon – a fact that boggles my mind because this past month has crept by where my month in France flew.

It’s now been a month since I returned from France. I have spent the same amount of my summer at home as I did in Lyon – a fact that boggles my mind because this past month has crept by where my month in France flew. After settling in to my life in the US again, reflecting on my study abroad experience feels almost like trying to remember a dream. I know what I experienced, and I have words and pictures to remind me, but my memories grow hazier each day that passes. I long to return, but know with my major and financial situation this is unlikely. However, living in another country is an experience I now know I will repeat. The most meaningful part of my experience was living with a host family, which I recommend to everyone to considering studying abroad. Through living with a French family, I gained insight into not only the norms and routines of life in France, but cultural values and mannerisms. Members of my host family spoke of people of other cultures, like Arabs, in a way that could be seen as insensitive. I grew to love my host family, and though I did not agree with their comments, being a part of their life gave me a valuable perspective on class and race in France and forced me to think more critically about the culture I was absorbing and appreciating. Additionally, living in close quarters with a French family and speaking with the other Americans also staying with host families revealed behavioral quirks I otherwise would have been blind to. For example, I noticed that the French make a distinct sound when they are thinking by releasing air through pursed lips. This is something that would never appear in a textbook but is absolutely thrilling to know. I had an incredible time in Lyon. Studying abroad in France has renewed my desire to learn French and I am now a French minor. I am trying to stay in touch with the wonderful people I met, especially my host family. I just sent them two postcards because I ran out of room on the first. I can’t wait for the response! Though the program was only a month long, it was a rich and unforgettable experience that I wouldn’t change. With a STEM major, I was worried about being able to study abroad and still finish my degree in four years. The USAC summer term was a perfect fit for me. I feel I had the full study abroad experience, and I didn’t fall behind in my required classes. Though part of me wishes it was longer, or that I could have gone for an entire semester, I believe the brevity of the program made me appreciate and truly be present in each moment of my stay.

https://wp.wwu.edu/summerinlyon/