Pre-Departure : Spain by Isa Morrison

https://wp.wwu.edu/granada

A view over Granada, Spain
I am eager to learn more about the cultural, the language, the people, and the everyday life of the Spaniards. As well as to try new foods , meet new people, and explore new places.

There’s so much excitement about going somewhere new, but there are also some nervousness. Some things I am excited about overlaps with what I am nervous about. Hopefully my excitement overcomes my nerves!

My excitement began just thinking about the possibility of studying abroad. Once I applied to the program my excitement surged. I am most excited about the opportunity I have been given to live in Spain, which I am so grateful for! I am eager to learn more about the cultural, the language, the people, and the everyday life of the Spaniards. As well as to try new foods , meet new people, and explore new places.

I start to feel more nervous as my countdown to Spain shortens. Many nervous thoughts swarm my brain about my flight, my luggage ( what to pack and will it arrive on-time to Spain), what the locals will think of me, everyday life in Granada, pickpockets, and homesickness. I think I am most nervous about is my Spanish speaking skills (or lack of).

The most overlap between my excitement and nervousness comes down to speaking, learning, and understanding Spanish. I’m so excited to practice and learn more Spanish, but I’m nervous my prior Spanish knowledge will not be sufficient enough and will leave me confused in many conversations. I hope my most frequently used words will not be  ” ¿Qué? and no entiendo” ( what? and I don’t understand). I know going to a Spanish speaking country, and immersing myself is the best way to learn. In the beginning, I may be more confused than I hope for, but I know I will learn so much as time goes on.

I will embrace everything while I’m in Spain whether it is good or bad. I know I will mess up pronunciations, grammar, correct use of words, and my pace, but I will continue to practice and get better. Spanish isn’t the only thing I will be learning in Spain, I will gain so much knowledge from this overall experience. I am excited to learn so much, explore, and gain so much from this upcoming experience!