Your Western Card


Valid government-issued photo I.D. must be presented at the card office in order to obtain a Western Card. (examples: driver’s license, state-issued photo I.D., passport, & military I.D.).

WWU Students

All students registered for the current academic quarter are eligible to receive a Western Card. Your photo may be used for University identification purposes other than your Western Card– for example, on course rosters.

Faculty & Staff

Current WWU faculty & staff are eligible to receive a Western Card, and may be issued their card at the card office as soon as their first day of employment.

WCC Students

Whatcom Community College students living on Western’s campus are not eligible for a Western Card. However, if you have purchased a meal plan with WWU, you are eligible for a Dining Card from our office.

Student Bus Pass

Western Washington University is partnered with the Whatcom Transit Authority to provide bus passes to Western students at a reduced rate. Your Western Card acts as your bus pass.

The bus pass fee for students is $26.25 for fall, winter, and spring quarters, and $21 for summer quarter.

Students registered for 6 credits* or more will have the bus pass fee automatically assessed to their student account at the start of each quarter. You will need to activate your bus pass at the beginning of the academic year in our office. Your bus pass remains active throughout the academic year, including intersession, as long as you take 6 or more credits per quarter.

Students registered for 1-5 credits* may choose to come to the Western Card Office, fill out an Opt-In form, and have the bus pass fee manually assessed to their student account. Your bus pass will remain active for the remainder of the quarter, including intersession. You will need to opt-in and activate your bus pass each quarter as long as you are taking 5 or fewer credits.

* Some classes are not used to determine bus pass eligibility or university fees. These include Extended Education, Online courses, Independent Study.

More information about bus passes, alternative transportation, and the student shuttle is available on the Transportation Services website.

Staff & Faculty Bus Pass

The Western Card office only distributes student bus passes.  Faculty and staff bus passes are available through Transportation Services.

Western Card Privileges


A Western Card is required to check out laptops, wireless cards, cameras, and other equipment from ATUS.

Copy Money

You may add copy money to your Western Card’s debit stripe at any campus coin or vending station. Copy money is accepted in campus copiers and library microfiche readers. The following locations currently accept coins and bills as methods of payment:


You need your Western Card to check out materials from Western’s Libraries.

Parking Services

A Western Card is required to purchase an on-campus parking pass from Parking Services.  Your card cannot be used as an after-hours permit. Parking privileges are also defined on the Student Transportation website.

Parking is enforced at all hours while classes are in session. For more information on permits, lots, and citations, visit Parking Services.