Insta Step-by-Step Guides

For years, I and many of my fellow edtech colleagues used Clarify to create step-by-step guides to help teach clients how to navigate the rough seas that can be a new app. Especially with the pandemic, video has accelerated the use of video tutorials as training, but for some the simple (or dare I say minimalist) way to help their learning is still written documentation. In 2018 Clarify-It deprecated their app to maintenance and ultimately has phased it out; meaning it was killed. And since then many of us in edtech have been hoping for a replacement or even a version 2.0 from Clarify, but alas nothing from them and nothing really filled its void that offered the same ease of use functions, and price…I think until now.

Meet Folge.me

It’s name comes from Folgefolge mir in German for, apparently, “follow me” which aptly names its function. Following in the footsteps of Clarify, this 60 ($70 USD) app has all the functionality( and then some) of Clarify, in an interface that is reminiscent of Screencast-o-matic. Getting started, they offer a free account with limitations such as watermarks on screenshots and exporting only to PDF but it is more than enough for the casual user.

• Use unlimitedly for 3 guides
  • Export to PDF
  • Unlimited steps
  • All annotation tools

Much like Screencast-o-matic, its interface is fast and simple to use, and its integrated screen capturing tool makes step by step capture and annotations fast. But like SCOM, at times the interface can feel a little clunky- but in my tests it really didn’t effect my workflow or output.

Contacting them directly as an educator can get you 30% off should you want to upgrade from a free account.