The Eve of the Return

It’s the eve of December 22nd and the time has come to return to the US. I say the US and not home because as much as the US is my home, Spain has been my home for the past three months. I think it’s near impossible to put into words how much this experience in Spain has meant to me. It’s 10 pm in Granada and I’ve feeling a multitude of mixed emotions, happiness, sadness, disbelief, fulfillment, etc… any student that has studied abroad I’m sure can relate. The people and experiences I’ve met living in Spain and traveling have changed my life forever and I couldn’t be more thankful for my time here. It’s truly been the greatest three months of my life.

I feel returning to the US a more well-rounded, knowledgeable individual, and confident in who I am. Studying abroad has presented me opportunities that have made me go outside my comfort zone and shown me what I am capable of in versatile situations, some good some bad and some horrible. Studying abroad I thrived and, in many ways, became the best version of myself.

Reflecting on my time here I wouldn’t change any of it. In many ways I wish I was staying longer but at the same time I do believe that a significant part of the experience is the people. My three months here with the friends I’ve made and experiences I’ve had are a well written book that I feel content with the ending. Some stories only need one book.