I have heard someone refer to the time we are living in now as “The age of indulgence.” I have never heard a better summary of how life is now. Interestingly, everything is sort of at our fingertips and we all have addictions that we are in denial of. This may not seem or feel like a negative thing, but I believe there are a lot of scary downsides to this.

My audio includes many social media pages playing music or videos, while the TV is on and music is playing in the background. I recently heard of something called a ‘dopamine detox’ and after trying a very light version for one day, I realized how often I have things playing in the background. I rarely am ever sitting in silence. I hadn’t really noticed this until it was taken away from me. It was hard to be in silence, to do all the little things in life without music, a podcast, or the TV playing in the background. Also, I couldn’t get away from the noise. There is so much media noise everywhere: every store is playing music, people at the park were playing music on a speaker, and it seemed like everywhere I go, I find some sort of distraction from the silence. It makes me wonder when the last time everyone else had to sit in silence was.