I used advertisements that were sent to me by industry brands. I noticed a theme of the senior discount, and it made me think about the effects of consumer/hustle culture. Many people think they are forced to take a fixed path in life due to capitalism. It forms the narrative that we will play when we are young and then we must work and save up in order to play again as adults. I saw the recurring theme of the senior discount as an industry supporting this consumerist narrative. It is discouraging in this sense, to think of life in this worldview that we work to be drained and we should just accept our fate as consumers. It is damaging to our personal identities. I wanted to highlight this whole perspective on the right side of the photo.

When reading my poem I want the viewer to feel a sense of urgency and defensiveness over their own personal identity. In the top left of the image it reads, Be You. The placement of this cutout offers the viewer a choice; be yourself once you get your senior discount, or Be yourself right here, right now.