The Classroom Environment

From past experiences participating in political demonstrations and rallies, I have noticed that there are some (loose) similarities between the classroom environment and the atmosphere and archetypal participants of group protests.

Firstly, an underlying question exists within both categories—what are we doing here? At a rally, people gather to incite change, to inform the public about injustices or approval of action, to learn, listen, and engage with a community that shares your common goals and beliefs. Within a classroom, I often feel like (if I stretch) I am operating like an organizer or a speaker at a demonstration. A group of people has assembled in a common space to learn  and to be shown that their class participation, interest, and efforts to complete the work are worthwhile. I believe it is important to engage with and acknowledge the question “what are we doing here” during each class period, because students respond to course content that they are able to apply outside of the classroom, within their personal lives and passions.

At rallies, there are always the attendees who are at the top of the game. They are well versed in the issues, they are involved with the issue they are assembling for outside of the protest and are actively working towards achieving their goals, they come prepared with their signs, pamphlets, they know the chants, and they are willing to engage in thoughtful and provocative dialogue with others to further understanding of the issue they are protesting. A good student often operates in the same manner—she comes to class prepared with her books, having done the readings and assignments, she answers questions with insightful commentary on the subject we are discussing, and enhances the classroom environment by being an engaged and attentive participant. These students are always a pleasure to have in the classroom, but it’s important to remember that not everyone in attendance exhibits the same passion for the class, or functions so easily within a classroom setting.

Sometimes, at protests, there are outside individuals who merely happen to be walking by your rally on the way to work, or are out on a run, and stop to take in the scene before them. It is important to try and engage with these people, who may not know of the issue and with the right encouragement, could enhance the ideas and outlook of the assembled group. They sometimes need a little more convincing, or their interest might need a little stoking, but oftentimes join in and contribute wonderfully to the overall environment of the protest. Some students behave like this archetype, hovering on the edge of discussion, engaged but nervous, interested but uncertain of how this curriculum will really make a difference within their lives. I like to draw these students in by readapting classroom settings to provide smaller discussion groups for students who do not wish to discuss concepts in a larger setting. Or, by taking the time to explain concepts that students might not be familiar with but are too embarrassed to admit in a larger setting when their fellow classmates seem so to know so much.

Finally, the bane of all protests: hecklers. These people aren’t even counter-protesters, these are people who walk by your protest and don’t really know what you’re doing, but see a few triggering words that they know they don’t like, and they immediately respond in a negative way. Their arguments are not based in fact, but instead within blind fury and dedication to their own “unfailing” ideology. Sometimes, a “problem” student behaves the same way. There is one student who thinks he is too  cool to be in my class, that what I’m teaching isn’t important or relevant to in any way, shape, or form. They make my other students feel uncomfortable for caring, or often hinder them in their learning because this “problem” student has failed to complete the assignment. It is easy to write these students off as hopeless, or to ignore them until they inevitably fail, but I’ve learned this is neither beneficial to him, or to me. In a way, he has helped me foster healthy class discussion by voicing his beliefs and presenting me with a platform upon which to strengthen students’ understanding of a subject. Presenting the class with opposing arguments and permitting them to ask questions seems to lead to more engagement and introduces students to deeper critical thinking. Also, addressing this student’s questions head on not only encouraged him to continue to ask questions, but hopefully showed him that I respect his participation within the classroom.

Overall, the intent of a protest is to educate and enact change. It’s an exciting (and sometimes challenging) setting, within which people are encouraged to grow and think freely, and I believe a classroom works to achieve similar goals and provide a safe learning environment.