How Many Times Have I Told You This? A Study on Student Comprehension and Retention of Directions

Intro to the proposed research:

At this point in the quarter, patience is thin. It is getting harder and harder to calmly, and civilly reply to students when they ask where an assignment is posted, when something is due, or email me a their projects because ‘they don’t know where to turn it in’– even though we are two months into the quarter and I have explained the details of the class multiple times. This thinly contained frustration got me wondering if there was a way I could help my students retain information and directions instead of me just bemoaning the fact that my students don’t listen.

For my pedagogical experiment, I would research and identify previous research done on how to increase comprehension in terms of direction oriented details. I already have a study I plan on reading, Trisha Serviss’s “Points of Departure”. She offers a method for teachers to follow to help their students comprehend and retain directional information. I want to test how useful her methodology is against other methods offered by other researchers. By testing out other methods in the classroom, I hope to identify which method aligns best with my prefered classroom environment and teaching style. I am tired of being frustrated, and annoyed with my students who are otherwise are good students who complete assignments, and are engages with the class. Is there a more productive way to give my students information, and can it decrease the amount of times students spend seeking answers that they have already been given when they could have comprehended and retained that information the first time it was given? Furthermore, is there a way I can get my students to utilize the resources that I give them (Canvas or my syllabus) first instead of relying solely on me to tell them the answers. It is not fair for me critique my students if I am not first willing to critique myself which is why I seek a better way I can be relying information to my students.

Gathering Data:

I will identify three different research experiments that concern with student comprehension and retention. Each method for conveying information will have an allotted time in my syllabus where I give instructions and information solely using the allotted method. The syllabus schedule will be split into thirds according to the three methods for conveying information. During that time I will record the number of times students ask the following questions (either verbally in person, or over email):

• When is the homework due?
  • Where is “X” assignment posted?
  • Where do I post “x” assignment?
  • What is the homework?

Now, this is simple because the answer for all of these questions is “It’s on Canvas”, or the answer is on Canvas which I would have explained many times.

It would be interesting to see if the number of times this question is asked changes when I change the way I give them this information. The data collected during that quarter would be compared to the previous quarter which I will treat as a control group where I will not adhere to any strict methodology for conveying information.  I understand there is a difference between student’s retaining information that I gave them outright, and student’s learning to utilize their resources (ie: checking Canvas first before asking me). This different, well present, may not be trackable within the data gathered for this experiment. That is to say, I may not be able to tease apart the areas where students retained the information of “The answer you seek, you will find on Canvas” and therefore their question are answered through that method, or if they are remembering and retaining when I told them the answer in the first place.

Possible Sources Concerning Possible Methods for Increasing Information Retention:

Bruzzini, Kristen Blake. “Cognitive Theory: An Exploration of Learning Techniques to Enhance Student Motivation and Information Retention in Anatomy and Physiology.” FASEB Journal, vol. 21, no. 5, Apr. 2007, pp. A222–A222.

Januário, Nuno, et al. “Student Retention of the Information Transmitted by the Teacher in Physical Education Classes Depending on the Characteristics of the Information / Retención de La Información Transmitida Por El Profesor En Las Clases de Educación Física En Función de Las Características de La Información.” Infancia y Aprendizaje, vol. 38, no. 1, Feb. 2015, pp. 212–42. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1080/02103702.2014.996405.

Kumar, R. Raj, and G. Hema. “Effects of Multimedia Instructional Strategy for Enhancing Students’ Learning and Retention in Mathematics.” Journal on School Educational Technology, vol. 13, no. 2, Jan. 2017, pp. 7–13. i-manager Publications. 3-343 Hill View, Town Railway Nagar, Nagercoil 629001, Tamil Nadu, India. Tel: +91-4652-276675; e-mail: info@imanagerpublications.com; Web site: http://www.imanagerpublications.com.

Overstreet, Michael, and Alice Healy. “Item and Order Information in Semantic Memory: Students’ Retention of the ‘CU Fight Song’ Lyrics.” Memory & Cognition, vol. 39, no. 2, Feb. 2011, pp. 251–59. EBSCOhost, doi:10.3758/s13421-010-0018-3.

Rafi, Aisha, et al. “Effect of Drawing Microscopic Images on Students’ Retention of Knowledge of Histology.” Pakistan Journal of Medical Research, vol. 57, no. 3, July 2018, pp. 121–24.

Salisbury, Lutishoor, et al. “Technology Use for Non-Educational Purposes during Library Instruction: Effects on Students Learning and Retention of Information.” Science & Technology Libraries, vol. 37, no. 3, July 2018, pp. 274–89. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1080/0194262X.2018.1456391.

Simonson, Shawn R. “Modifying the Monte Carlo Quiz to Increase Student Motivation, Participation, and Content Retention.” College Teaching, vol. 65, no. 4, Oct. 2017, pp. 158–63. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1080/87567555.2017.1304351.

One thought on “How Many Times Have I Told You This? A Study on Student Comprehension and Retention of Directions

1. This is a fun idea, and super specific. My one big thought here is how you will account for maturation–by which I mean the natural habit for students to get better at this as the quarter goes on, regardless of the experiment. Clearly they aren’t maturing fast enough right now! But in your proposal, I think you’ll want to estimate the maturation rate in your current class and state what you expect to see in your class next quarter–if the experiment has an effect and if it doesn’t. This isn’t very quantifiable of course, but it’ll be useful to set a general benchmark about how much improvement you’d expect to see one way or the other. I wonder as well (and this is probably a bad idea) if you could insert some more challenging organizational tasks in the course, just to test how they handle them with each instruction method.

I found this on comppile–maybe useful? 5. McGhee, Kristi Webster; Steve Rothkrug. (1998). When all else fails, read the directions. In Master, Peter; Donna M. Brinton (Eds.), New ways in English for specific purposes; Alexandria, VA: Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages.
    Keywords: ESL, pedagogy, techcom, directions