Integrated Internet Resources- Mental Health: Depression

Student Resource (http://teenmentalhealth.org/)

Teen Mental Health

This website is a great resource for students to refer to when learning about depression. Students can use this website for a project on how depression affects learning and being a student. There are tons of resources and information on this website about not only depression, but other mental health topics. I would have students refer to this website to do projects on depression and to further explore other resources regarding mental health.

To follow up on this website, I have my class do a research based assignment where they would have a whole unit on mental health. The students would each choose a mental health topic that is listed on this website and they would use this website as a central resource for the project. I would ask what the mental health topic is, why it happens, how it happens and what help can you go get to help with the specific mental health topic.

Standards:

National Health Education Standards:

Standard 1: Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health.

Standard 3: Students will Demonstrate the ability to access valid information and products and services to enhance health.

Common Core State Standards:

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.6.3 Analyze in detail how a key individual, event, or idea is introduced, illustrated, and elaborated in a text (e.g., through examples or anecdotes).

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.6.5 Analyze how a particular sentence, paragraph, chapter, or section fits into the overall structure of a text and contributes to the development of the ideas.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.6.7 Integrate information presented in different media or formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively) as well as in words to develop a coherent understanding of a topic or issue.

Teacher Resource: (https://www.classroommentalhealth.org/)

Classroom Mental Health

This website is a great resource for teachers to provide instruction on different mental health techniques, such as ways to manage stress and providing a positive classroom environment for students. However, many of the resources I found did this and I thought that this one was the best because it also provides many resources for teachers to learn more about how to talk to students they think might be struggling with mental illness, and how to communicate with their families. It also provided a self-care toolkit that teachers can provide to students, which could be great to use for a lesson all about self-care and its importance. Overall, this website is an amazing resource for teachers to educate themselves, and then better teach and support their students on mental health issues.

In my own classroom, I would integrate the resources from this website into a core topic like reading or writing. One activity I thought would be useful for doing this in my classroom that the website is also a good resource for, is a coping skills workshop. In this workshop, the teacher can incorporate mental health skills into their instruction in English, by having students read a short passage about some coping skills, or stress management techniques then choose a few that they want to try. Then when they go home, they can try a few of the techniques and as homework write a short personal narrative about how they noticed the techniques they chose in class worked for them, whether they felt like they worked well or if they thought that some of the other techniques would have worked better for them, helping them to begin working on their ability to make decisions about their own mental health as well as using evidence about how they felt to support their claims of how the techniques worked for them, a skill needed for students to be successful in writing.

Standards

National Health Education Standards

Standard 1: Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health

Standard 5: Student will demonstrate the ability to use decision-making skills to enhance health

Common Core State Standards

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.4: Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization and style are appropriate to task, purpose and audience.

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.2.D: Use precise language and domain specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.2.E: Establish and maintain formal style and objective tone

Parent Resource: (Website:  http://www.familyaware.org/)

Families for Depression Awareness

This site is very informative for parents and family members.  Available resources include educational webinars, how to find care for depression.  One of the things that is really great about this site is that it gives different possible signs of depression, and potential signs that adults may notice in an adolescent.  Further, this site presents different topics of conversation an adult, parent, or guardian may discuss with the adolescent, and how to make the adolescent feel safe, comfortable, and understand their options for help and support. Overall, this is the best site available for a parents because of all the available resources, including educational webinars teaching about depression, and how to find help.  In addition, this site was very accessible, visually appealing, and organized.  

In order to introduce this site and resource to parents or other family members and adults, it would be great to post this resource on a class website under a “Health” tab. Further, there could be a link in a newsletter almost every week for resources for parents and adults, because depression is more prevalent in children and adolescents nowadays. Allowing parents to have access to this resource is very important, and should be posted in as many places as possible, including both a weekly newsletter home and the classroom website.  

10 thoughts on “Integrated Internet Resources- Mental Health: Depression

1. Mental health is important to maintain in the right condition, as well as physical. And if any problems arise, it is better to solve them immediately. Reviews help me a lot in this matter. This allows me to learn the approach of each service and understand how effective its methods can be. Recently came across this reviewhttps://drmental.org/amwell-review and this is what I need to fix my emotional state.

2. Mental health is important to maintain in the right condition, as well as physical. And if any problems arise, it is better to solve them immediately. Reviews help me a lot in this matter. This allows me to learn the approach of each service and understand how effective its methods can be. Recently came across this review https://drmental.org/amwell-review and this is what I need to fix my emotional state.

3. I believe that it is very important to understand exactly where you can find information about the causes, consequences and ways to get out of depression. People who suffer from it sometimes do not even imagine that a solution is nearby, such as a resource https://www.australiacounselling.com.au/mentally-unstable/ After learning more information, a person begins to realize that he should seek help from a doctor so that he can make a diagnosis and recommend the best course of action. Therefore, I believe that having a mental illness is not shameful, and talking to someone about it and getting professional help is perfectly acceptable.

4. Although sometimes the reasons for the deterioration of the psychological state can be very unexpected. For example, depression began to follow over time after comparing my lifestyle with others on social networks. And over time, I had a problem and the need to how to stop social media comparison https://us.calmerry.com/blog/self-esteem/how-to-stop-social-media-comparison/ The main thing is that I understood why I had difficulties and turned to specialists for advice on how to get rid of this condition.

5. Friday Night Funkin is a rhythm game where you control the main character BF, who wants to win the heart of his girlfriend GF through competing against other characters. The game consists of multiple rounds of increasing difficulty, you have to hit the right beat to overcome challenging opponents. The game has beautiful music and graphics, and quickly attracts the attention of a large number of players.

6. You need to create words that are at least three letters long.
    You can make words horizontally, vertically, diagonally, or a combination of all three.
    Once you spot a hidden word, click and drag the letters that form it to clear those tiles. word wipe
    The longer the word, the more points you’ll rack up.

7. The assignment submission period was over and I was nervous, totosite and I am very happy to see your post just in time and it was a great help. Thank you ! Leave your blog address below. Please visit me anytime.

8. I was looking for another article by chance and found your article baccaratsite I am writing on this topic, so I think it will help a lot. I leave my blog address below. Please visit once.