This art print by graphic designer Chad Wys is entitled “Agape”, and to me, it symbolize the concept of this type of love perfectly. Wys’s print incorporates a work of Ancient Greek art, and the rainbow stripes coming out of the statue man’s mouth add a simple but modern touch to this piece of art. I could not find any comments made by Chad Wys on his own art print, but to me, the stripes have a double meaning – they might also represent the rainbow colours of the LGBTQIA+ flag. The phrase “love is love” has come to be synonymous and symbolic of gay pride and LGBTQ+ people, and it also ties in wonderfully with the idea of agapē love. As we know, agapē love is a universal, human kind of love, and the belief that love is love is love is love aligns the concepts presented by both agapē love and Pride very well. As much as I wish Chad Wys himself had spoken on this particular piece of work, his art is able to speak for itself, leaving much of it open to the interpretation of its audience. Much of his work incorporates Greek and Roman art, while putting a modern and minimalist colour twist onto these more classical pieces. I believe that this is also symbolic of agapē love – it is a concept as old as humanity itself, but it, like all love, continues to persist and change with the people and the times.

Wys, Chad. “Agape Print.” ChadWysBlog, 28 July 2013, chadwys.tumblr.com/post/56682832463/agape-chad-wys-webtumblr-buy-print.