Taking an Interest in Foreign Cultures/Countries: How Studying Another Culture Helps in the Workplace

Studying Abroad is something that is widely discussed in many college student’s careers at their university. The option, however, is not always available to students, as programs are expensive, time is limited, and there are not always options for each student’s program of study. While there may not be the opportunity for you to study abroad, it is still very important, and can give you a leg up when you take an interest in another country or culture.

The opportunity I had to study Spanish abroad in Guanajuato, Mexico I believe will help me in the future. I can now communicate conversationally with an entirely different demographic of people. I personally believe that in the world of business, understanding multiple different groups of people, the way they live, and the way that they interact with others is something that all professionals should understand. Understanding other cultures helps to understand more people. This is vital when trying to do business with people in other countries, connecting and creating professional relationships. When studying other cultures, it gives you insight into how groups of people other than yourself connect and create relationships between each other.

I believe that having the ability to connect with other people and learn about others whether that be in the workplace, through a study abroad program, in an immersion program, or on your own will benefit you because it will help you create more interpersonal and genuine relationships that will give you a better diverse network of working professionals to connect with.