Hey class,

Here is the photo I was talking about in class. The photographer watched and waited for the vulture to enter the frame to take this photo. He was awarded the Pulitzer prize for this photo. A year later the photographer committed suicide. We can’t say why he did it, but I think its worth mentioning.

The debate this photo brings up is interesting. When taking photos what is your roll? Many people criticize the photographer for thinking about his work before saving a dying child’s life. But another thing to consider about the photo is what its saying and what its doing. We are brought in to a reality of third world country. Maybe this photo would strike empathy in most.

Let me know what you think.

-Cody Madison

One thought on “

1. For a situation like this, it seems like the photographer probably had the opportunity to not only capture the powerful moment, but also to save the child.

Other situations where a photographic subject are in much more dire need would be of greater debate.

I think what makes me see this as okay is that the vulture isn’t attacking the child. Obviously he is thinking about having him for dinner, but (hopefully) the photographer wouldn’t have let that happen.

I know I wouldn’t sacrifice someone’s life for a shot.