Light and Shadow Reading Response

Plato’s “Cave” is mentioned right away in this reading, which was also brought up recently in my English class while we were discussing Reality versus/and Illusion. I like the multifacetedness of shadows, and the reading highlights the idea of ignorance and hiding (negative connotations) whereas they can also be mysterious and intriguing. The text also described film noir as revealing truth, not hiding it. I look forward to using meaningful shadows as graphic elements.

I thought it was interesting that “color temperature has to do with the actual temperature of the physical process taking place”. I never thought of it that way and just assumed that this aspect was purely visual. This interaction of physical environment on what we see in a color photo would be an interesting idea/concept to explore further.

I’m also very interested in film making, so I was glad there were so many references to movies and film styles (like film noir). Hopefully I’ll get to explore some of the characteristics of these styles in future projects in this class.

I would like to try back lighting or overhead-lighting a subject. They aren’t very conventional for everyday photography (advertisements etc). The rest of the technical information about equipment will be a good reference for the light room project.