Practice 2: Light and Shadow Response

I usually think of photography as a fairly modern invention, but it was interesting to go back to the basics of light and shadow that have been around for centuries. Techniques have certainly changed. I like the idea of cinematographers learning to “glamorize starlets by practicing their craft on oranges” (139).  I have done some basic lighting practice before, but it was interesting learning how projectors work to get the right ratio for an image when the light is coming from an angle. It makes so much sense, I can’t believe I had never thought about it before! I’m interested in experimenting with the color temperature of light. It would be interesting to see how that could really change a scene. I also love how this book shows inexpensive ways to get the same effects as professional equipment. Using pantyhose as a way to diffuse light from a flash is brilliant! I’m definitely going to try that one. I also like the idea of using several different light filters in the same image. The example in the book by Sarah Buckius is great.