Assigned Readings Responses (7-10, from the Textbook)

7. When it comes to mass producing images, this is where my journalism studies comes into play. As a photojournalist, my stuff has been in newspapers and magazines and then sent out to a lot of people. I think in our world today, with lots of people shooting digital and then putting it online right away, there is going to be distribution that isn’t really ethical, or shoots people to fame with their photos. I know I’ve uploaded photos, and then got contacted to have my stuff featured on other websites or used in brochures. I’m personally fine with having my work become used for advertising or commercial uses.

8. A picture is worth 1,000 words, indeed. Documentary photography is something that I feel is used so strongly today. It turned from documentary photography to documentary films, and those kind of films usually speak to people in a way that others cannot. Documenting life is preserving our past. I love to look at old photos of the world because it gives you a context that just stories cannot. This is the reason we have museums, so we can see documents of the past. Photos show us a way of life that will be around forever. Without these photograph documents, we wont know where we came from or where we are going.

9. I think using words in photographs is so powerful. People think that photos should just be about the image, but words can create such a strong mood and boost the photograph to another level. Some of the coolest projects involve people incorporating words into the photos, whether it be with a handheld sign or using a billboard in the background. Irony and hypocrites is a usual subject when dealing with words in photos. Also political stances are popular in word photos too. It’s amazing how much words can add.

10. The last reading was about dear old Photoshop. I love Photoshop with a passion. I’ve been using it for about 8 years now, and I will never give it up. It is the best thing since sliced bread, if I can even say that. I know there’s a lot of controversy about using the program, but there are such great things it can do that aren’t controversial. I will also admit that I use it for the wrong reasons (to make people skinnier, etc), but in the end, it does more good than bad for my and other peoples images.